+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default The internet... Help or hinderance?

Do you believe the internet is having a positive or negative impact on the way we parent compared to our parents time, where they had to ask health professionals, speak to people they knew irl or read a book that was usually based on facts?

I'm constantly finding myself weighing up the pros and cons of having the internet as a parent. There are so many opinions being passed off as facts, as well as those parents that make others feel inadequate if their decisions are different.

I also find that with social networking, so many younger mums friend request you as soon as they find out that you're pregnant and it seems to cause a lot more competition and arguments compared to if there weren't social networking sites, these mothers would walk past you in the street and have no idea who you are.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I'm not a parent yet but I find the research side of things invaluable. There have been things I've been mildly concerned about throughout my pregnancy and my concerns have been alleviated after a quick google search. Otherwise I might have been at the hospital due to a bit of mild cramping in the early weeks which was just my uterus stretching, which is just a waste of resources which could otherwise we used on an actual sick person.

I think it could cause some people to worry more than necessary, but with doctors not always providing all the facts, a google search at least allows you to be informed.

Thanks
    Reviews

Also I wanted to add that I take everything from most sites with a grain of salt unless its a government health website as I know that has been written by medical professionals rather than an untrained person.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    depends what you get from it I guess. If you get upset over a lot of things, then its just a PITA but if you get some great advice and it helps you out, then its helpful lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MummaHan View Post
    Do you believe the internet is having a positive or negative impact on the way we parent compared to our parents time, where they had to ask health professionals, speak to people they knew irl or read a book that was usually based on facts
    If I had to choose, I'd rather have the village my parents and grandparents had, over the net. The village doesn't exist anymore and it makes parenting harder and more isolating. The net is full of information for sure, but there's so much incorrect info, judgment and nastiness too. Sometimes ignorance is bliss,

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

SoThisIsLove  (13-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: The internet... Help or hinderance?

It all depends. When it comes to my son and his Aspergers the net has been awesome for networking and finding out strategies and tips for how to handle behaviour etc. When it comes to research it has been great too!

When it comes to wasting time on the net.. I think our grannies day was better.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Both!

I didn't do anywhere near enough research on babies before I had DD so when we got her home and I had trouble with breastfeeding, settling to sleep, she had reflux but we didn't know it, so I spent every waking and sleeping moment on the net on my phone googling how to do things.

Sometimes it helped, other times I read so much conflicting information that I ended up more confused than I was to begin with and left me second guessing what I was doing.

If I were you I'd buy one or two parenting books and stick to reading those. If in doubt you can always rig your local health network, who ever the government agency is in your state. In SA it's Child and Youth Health and they have a parent helpline you can call to get official government recommended advice. It can sometimes be a bit outdated as I found, but most of the time it does really help.