+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Weaned onto bottle - taking small amounts?

I just weaned my DS (8 months) onto a bottle from the breast. It says on the tin the recommended daily intake is 200mls 3-4 times daily. But my DS seems to have other ideas, he is taking 80-120mls max every 3 hours (so 5 times daily) and 2 times overnight. He has only just been switched so is it possible that's the amount he is just use to taking from me? He is having solids aswell.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

The tin is a guide , my DS was the same , as long as he is well hydrated and putting on weight he may not need as much as they say, plus some days you will notice he drinks less, some more , it all differs! Just keep offering!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DD2 went onto a bottle full time at 10 months and was a bit the same. The most she drank was 80ml and only had 4 bottles (in 24hours) I was really concerned but there was aboslutely nothing you can do to make them drink more if they don't want it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Agree with PP - the tin is a guide only. My DS has never had the recommended amounts listed - if they are hungry/thirsty they will take it, don't worry

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies I'll just go with what he needs for now, he's always been on the smaller size for weight but we have a CHN in early December so will check up on him then.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DD was having at most 300ml a day when I weaned her. I was so stressed and her poos were hard as rock. It has taken 6-8 weeks and at 11 months she has 100-120 each feed. Five bottles roughly per day. Just try to do what you did when bf - just give another bottle or solids if you think he seems hungry. Good luck