+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default DD is 10 months old and still refusing all food - help!

My baby won't eat anything, as in nothing! She just spits out, dry reaches, turns her head and clamps her lips shut. I have been trying off and on since she was 6mths old but not one single thing has changed, I was feeling pretty casual about it but I feel she must need something besides milk pretty soon, of course she still wakes over night for milk as I'm sure she is hungry. She is a big girl, tall and well padded ( looks like she has 3 square meals a day and she has never been ill) has anybody had this problem, she will eat one day won't she?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

There's hope! My son scarcely ate anything until after he turned 1yr he would put food in his mouth mush it up then spit it out or gag on vomit it out it was horrible and very draining. A couple of weeks after he turned 1 about the same time he started walking its like a switch turned on and he just started eating he has good and bad days with food still at 19months but that's pretty typical for a toddler most days though he eats more than I do lol

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Textural Progression Difficulties

Yes DD is 8mo and will only eat super finely puréed pears and rice. Our Paed referred her to a Speech Pathologist who supervised a session of feeding (bottle and solids) and diagnosed it as Textural Progression Difficulties. DD is blind and has no sense of smell and as a result has sensory processing issues (food, touching things with her hands, etc) but she did say it wasn't uncommon. She gave us a plan of attack with an aim to have her eating a variety of textures and consistencies over the following months. She says there is a window of opportunity (8-12mo) for developing babies palettes, which is why it's important to get it sorted. Hope this helps?? I thought I was the only one having this prob as my DS would always eat anything I put in front of him. Makes life so much harder when they gag and vomit and get upset at every meal time can definitly sympathize with you!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Have you tried BLW? Just put the food on her tray and let her play with it and hopefully one day she will put it in her mouth! Or sit her on your lap when you eat and she may grab at your food? Sit down with her with a plate of watermelon , eat it and see if she wants to join in!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (14-11-2012),missie_mackxxxx  (13-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

My ds was exactly the same until about 2 weeks ago! He has just turned 11 months and all of a sudden is eating pretty much anything! I just kept offering, didn't make a fuss and one day he took it. I offer him everything and anything, bits and pieces of our dinner, on his tray, on a fork on a baby spoon. The squeeze yogurt things etc. I offered bits of his older brothers food, normal baby food. I don't know what has changed but now he tries most things. Will eat a whole squeeze yogurt, will eat full pieces of pasta with any sauce or plain. Occasionally tries bits of fruit. Love corn on the cob. Just keep offering, but don't make a fuss when he doesn't want it. It was starting to stress me out too. Unfortunately it hasn't made a difference to the 4 plus wakes for booby milk at night though...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Thank you for the replies, it's a relief to know eating doesn't come naturally to some bubs. I have tried putting food on her tray so she can please herself but she just seems quite repulsed by it. I will just keep trying everyday till we get there