+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Asthma diagnoses and school

Anyone's little ones have asthma? What did you do for school? Had to pick the girls up early from preschool as one had a bad cough. I gave her a puffer as she was wheezy and they said until I get a formal diagnoses and an asthma care plan I'm not allowed to send either of them but I've already been billed for the entire term. They haven't officially been diagnosed, the doctor told me it was probably asthma but won't officially diagnose this young (3.5) but prescribed puffers anyway. Their doctor has since left. How do I get a diagnoses and is it just a one off appointment? I understand about OHS but I shouldn't have to pay for it if they won't allow either girls to go now.

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks for that missie_mack!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

That's a bit rude on the daycares behalf especially when they have taken your money..
    DD3 was diagnosed with asthma at 9 months old but we see a paed for her asthma. Could you take your DD to a paed so you can get the proper diagnosis? I actually just had DD asthma plan changed yesterday and the paed printed a new one up and she's only 2.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Asthma diagnoses and school

Uhm the director is being rediculous, NO doctor i know off will dx ds with asthma despite him having attacks so bad he can't breath,

I get the standard 'we don't dx asthma in kids under 5' despite your family history and your sons obvious asthma attacks .

So damned.frustrating to watch my baby cough til he can't breath knowing a puffer would.stop that

Sent from my LG-E400f using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

We live rurally so not sure how long the wait would be on seeing a paed and yeah I'm not too happy about paying for time they aren't getting there.

Kirby Star they go to the one you used to work at... They love it there but we've had a few issues.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    That is purely ridiculous! There is such a condition as infantile asthma! That just makes me shake my head and count how lucky I am that I have never came across such stupidity.
    The reason they say age 5 is because that is believed to be the age that some kids can master the spirometry testing. My DS has been doing them in the childrens hospital bi monthly for well over a year now and still can't master it- and that is with a program designed for children not a standard spirometry test which is what is mostly available. The Cochrane Review even has articles discussing that peak flow and spirometry are not effective for diagnosis because it can depend on the effort of the person taking the test

Sorry just my little rant....
    I have seen several doctors with his breathing issues and reoccurrent bouts of croup and all just give antibiotics or redipred,

This year is the worst so far, at 2 1/2 he coughs day and night and has had fits where i have had to take control and force him to calm down and breath as he freaks out during them making them worse (as an asthmatic myself i can manage to get him breathing properly again) the problem is it is a small town and we can never see the same doctor twice during his attacks.

The doctor he currently is seeing has given him a strong antibiotic which he has just finished but the coughing is still.there, not as severe now the air is warmer thank god.

I will give him a few more days to see if it improves or worsens before we head back to the same doctor to talk about using a puffer for his coughing proble

Thanks
    Reviews

Are you able to manage his asthma with ventolin? What are the antibiotics for?
    No ventolin, no doctor willing to prescribe it yet, i just try and keep him calm and encourage him to breath, rub his back and get him breathing in warm air and not crying ,

That had worked so far for the bad attacks but i worry about when he has one i can not get under control, if it came to that i would not hesitate to use my puffer til i got him to the hospital as i know asthma can kill (we lost a family friends 16 y/o son to a random.severe asthma attack)

The antibiotics before were for 'chest infections', the redipred for croup and this bout of antibiotics if 'just in case' it was a chest infection (doctor couldn't confirm either way) if they don't work (which they haven't) were going to move onto a puffer

Thanks
    Reviews

You don't need a prescription for ventolin. Buy it over the counter at the pharmacy and get yourself a double valve spacer with an infant mask. Start with 2 puffs with 5 counts between each puff.
    it.
    Ditto