Closed Thread
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Preschool food policies

Luckily we are free to send nuts and eggs to our kindy/school as I would really struggle with sending nice healthy lunches with a variety of foods while having to avoid nuts everyday.

Our school is pretty strict with everything else though, no packaged food at all (including tubs of yoghurt), no chocolate even if in a homemade muffin etc...

Also no white bread. Which I agree with, but sometimes if I am at the supermarket late at night there is nothing else left!
    So then I have to send wholegrain crackers or something. A bit annoying.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Minchi View Post
    wow, that's scary!!! Thank god you came out alright. I would be livid if my child had a reaction due to someone deliberately being careless and sending their kids to school with nuts etc. God help them that's all I can say.
    I am alive due to the fast action of one of my friends mums who got me to hospital fast. My allergy developed in my early teens, before that I could eat Nutella by the spoonful.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I replied to this post early in the piece and have not had a chance to reply. The response in relation to i will send my child with any food despite a guideline the school has presented is ludicrous. Seriously insane. I would like that member to maintain her status in this thread an try and defend the comments made. I agree the pressure of our educators to be parents and a controlling body of their students food intake is another expectation that is not warranted. Come join a lovely rural school where nothing is overlooked yet is the best place to be.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: Preschool food policies

Quote Originally Posted by ItWasntMe View Post
    So you would rather be responsible for a child's death then let your little darling wait a few hours for a peanut butter sandwich?! Please tell me you are f'n joking! I am a person with a severe nut allergy. I can have a reaction thru contact, taste or in the case of hazelnuts, smell. Last allergic reaction I had was a result of someone deciding to test my allergy and give me nuts. I ended up in cardiac arrest at local hospital getting zapped because of someone like you.
    Omgoodness how scary for you.

Cant believe anyone could do that. Test your allergy!?? How bloomin stupid. Gah. Glad ur okay

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

OJandMe is offline I am the strength my children will have.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We can send nuts to school,

but not kindy.

I think it's fair enough. In school kids are told not to share and they generally have an idea about what they can and can't eat personally. In kindy that's not the case.

Our preschool is a bit weird though. We're not allowed to send popcorn, but we can send sultanas. We're not allowed to send 100% juice, but we are allowed to send flavoured milk (which contains heaps of sugar)..

And yet the staff sit around eating Red Rooster..... go figure.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Preschool food policies

What? Why not popcorn? It's corn!
    I send air-popped corn with absolutely nothing on it.
    It's great snack.

sweetsugardumplin' is offline be the change you want to see in da world
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If you become involved in policy review and development - you can challenge ridiculous rules around food.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Might I add, I know nuts are a healthy food but we MUST be wary giving them to our young children, my cousin chocked on an almond at 4 years of age. She was flown by flying doctor from from Broken Hill to Adelaide at a seriously low altitude to save her life. It got lodged in her lung.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Re: Preschool food policies

Quote Originally Posted by Shanaynay View Post
    It's great snack.
    Choking hazard. I had the same "what....?" when jaspers daycare told me I couldn't bring pop corn.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

OJandMe is offline I am the strength my children will have.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Shanaynay View Post
    It's great snack.
    'choking hazard' apparently.

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast