Closed Thread
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    It should not be the schools role but unfortunately the parents who should be teaching/feeding them properly are not - so yes at least at school they can monitor it and I totally get the teachers really don't need the extra work but I think a child's health is just as important ( or actually more important) than its education
    If these stupid governments would get their act together and give the schools some more funding and put a proper nutrition plan into place we wouldn't have this problem!
    I'm spending money to send my son to private schools were I know this is being addressed!
    I'm more than happy for schools to offer nutritional education to children, school veggie patches and healthy cooking classes are great. What I'm not happy with is teachers being asked to act as lunch box police. Regulation will not help to improve the health of children, it only serves to undermine the authority of teachers/parents or both.

I definitely don't want the government involved in determining the suitability of foods for children, call me a pessimist but I'd be very concerned the bulk of children's diets would be provided by the company with the most 'persuasive' lobbyists.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Euphrosyne For This Useful Post:

OurLittleBlessing  (14-11-2012),Stiflers Mom  (13-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am a preprimary teacher and there is no way I would ever tell a parent what to bring in, in terms of healthy not healthy. That in my mind is a personal choice and a parenting issue. I have anaphylactic kids in my class and the principal and I looked into the current policy for nuts and eggs etc.
    In wa you are actually not allowed to say 'no nuts' etc the focus is 'nut aware'. You can request no nuts or eggs but can't enforce it. The idea behind this stance was that a child could have had peanut butter in the morning, not washed their hands and then touched a pencil or playground etc. eg they are saying not everything is in our control. So I tell my parents it is highly preferable not to brings these foods in and they all oblige.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to acerbaby For This Useful Post:

blubber  (13-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    I think the problem is that some pp have been annoyed at schools telling them what they can give their kids but you guys are not the ones that they are targeting- you give your kids good foods and the occasional snack but there are a lot of parents who have no clue about nutrition and they are the ones I assume the schools are trying to educate - our kids are getting fatter, diabetes is in the rise as are allergies and other diseases so I like the fact they tell parents what to bring because at least at school someone is watching what these kids eat ( granted some of the policies on shapes etc and selling hamburgers are baffling!)
    See this really bugs me big time (not your post but how pre schools in particular are micro managing my child's life). My child eats a tonne of fruit and veg's. Preservative free yogurt. Lean meat, chicken and fish. If I want to pop the occasional packet of chips or choc chip muffin in his lunch box that's my prerogative as a parent. I understand most pre schools have their funding attached to being strict with food, but many are going ott. At DS's pre school all they are allowed is yoghurt, fruit and cheese and unsalted crackers. Kind of boring for the poor kid.

Now the allergy debate is on another level for me. I respect he can't have nuts or eggs bc of other kids and I'm fine with that. DS can go without a peanut butter sanger twice a week My issue is that let's be honest, being ridiculously strict about non allergy foods to curb obesity is going to do squat considering most kids go only 2 days a week here. If parents are going to feed their kids crap there is the whole week. A couple of meals a week is hardly going to make a difference. Meanwhile parents like me that feed our kids well 95% of time and parent with moderation by slipping an LCM bar in their lunchbox once in a while are having other people overuling decisions for OUR kids. Smells like a nanny state to me

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Euphrosyne  (13-11-2012),OurLittleBlessing  (14-11-2012),Stiflers Mom  (13-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby star View Post
    Unfortunately sometimes going off at someone won't help!
    We.coped a lot of cranky parents because we had to follow certain guidelines or loose a lot of funding and get in trouble,

No worker wants to.be a ***** to a kid but when the director in enforcing it for funding purposes and also other govt bodies it is horrible to be abused because of it

Sent from my LG-E400f using BubHub
    hopefully this will make sense, forgive me if i confuse you all. The govenment has set out guifelines that all childcare centres must comply with, if they dont then they loose what is called their 'accreditation' and in effect, no longer become government approved. If a centre loses this, they no longer can give parents thier ccb benefits etc, therefor yes they would loose 'funding' cause seriously.. no parents would use a centre that cannot provide ccb or ccr because they arnt accredited.
    part of accreditation is that the centre either provides nutritious(sp) meals that covers certain amount of serves of their daily requirements or that they encourage parents to supply a healthy and nutritious lunch. This is where it becomes hard for cc workers, because lets face it, not all parents provide a healthy lunch. In my centre, children are encouraged to eat their hot meal/sandwiched first, followed by fruit then yoghurt then they may eat things like cheese/crackers, small amount of biscuit, small slice of cake. etc.
    we do not allow chips, roll ups, muesli bars etc.
    we are also a nut free zone therefore no nuts etc in our centre. Also no raw/boiled egg. although we are lenient on the egg because we have no child with allergies currently, and they are somewhat healthy.

sorry for the essay.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I’m a school teacher (Prep – 5 yr olds), and we are very strict about our nut/ allergy food policy. The parents, and kids, are all awareo f the rules – don’t bring in any nuts or nut-containing products. As a teacher, I have the lives of 25 kids in my hands every day. Their parents trust that when they drop their kids off at school, they will be safe and protected. I expect to be able to teach the children in an environment that is safe, and I will do all that I can to ensure that this happens. I would be LIVID if a parent were purposely risking the safety and the lives of other children because ‘my kid deserves his peanut butter sandwich’. I never have had a parent argue about it with me, and being a private school, if a parent continued to put other children’s lives at risk by purposely sending nut products to school,they would be asked (told) to leave the school if they would not stop. Yes, I supervise the eating and expect that the children don’t touch each others lunch, but cross contamination occurs very easily, particularly with young children, and I won’t have my school kids being put at risk by a selfish parent. The only time we have had nut products brought in to school was by accident – eg, Mum was sick so Grandma is looking after kids and unknowingly packed a peanut butter sandwich. The kidsknow straight away to come and tell me – I get them an alternative lunch, and write a (kind) note home reminding that nuts aren’t allowed.

With the ‘healthy foods’ policy – we just state that no chocolate or lollies are allowed. Some kids bring absolute rubbish in their lunch box. I do my best to suggest to parents the kinds of foods their children need to be eating, and I educate the children about healthy eating. But I don’t send food home or make the kids go hungry if they’re eating rubbish – I just try to talk to the parents and kids about how they can eat well at school.

When parents want to bring in a birthday treat, I always suggest a packaged food, because I can read the ingredients and can knowexactly what is in it. I won’t hand out food to a child with allergies unless I am absolutely 100% certain that it doesn’t contain any foods that they can react to. If a parent brings in a cake and tells me it is nut free, and I give it to Alice who is allergic and she reacts, I am the one who is liable. I won’trisk it.
    Last edited by Cinderella82; 13-11-2012 at 19:55.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Cinderella82 For This Useful Post:

Renesme  (14-11-2012)

sweetsugardumplin' is offline be the change you want to see in da world
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Get involved in policy review and development!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Regina Phalange View Post

With the ‘healthy foods’ policy – we just state that no chocolate or lollies are allowed. Some kids bring absolute rubbish in their lunch box. I do my best to suggest to parents the kinds of foods their children need to be eating, and I educate the children about healthy eating. But I don’t send food home or make the kids go hungry if they’re eating rubbish – I just try to talk to the parents and kids about how they can eat well at school.
    I think education is the key not banning almost every food that exists. I wish our pre school had a healthy eating section in every newsletter giving not just healthy lunch box options but easy, healthy dinner and breakfast options. Educating the kids about how important fruit and veg are. imo these are going to have a bigger impact that severely limiting our choice then having parents feeding their kids crap for 80% of the rest of the week.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleigh View Post
    I still send my kid to school with nuts and peanut butter. Im sorry but its not my childs fault someone else is allergic. If they dont want a reaction, dont touch it. Im not going to make my son miss out on foods he likes just because other children arent allowed it.
    So you would rather be responsible for a child's death then let your little darling wait a few hours for a peanut butter sandwich?! Please tell me you are f'n joking! I am a person with a severe nut allergy. I can have a reaction thru contact, taste or in the case of hazelnuts, smell. Last allergic reaction I had was a result of someone deciding to test my allergy and give me nuts. I ended up in cardiac arrest at local hospital getting zapped because of someone like you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ItWasntMe View Post
    So you would rather be responsible for a child's death then let your little darling wait a few hours for a peanut butter sandwich?! Please tell me you are f'n joking! I am a person with a severe nut allergy. I can have a reaction thru contact, taste or in the case of hazelnuts, smell. Last allergic reaction I had was a result of someone deciding to test my allergy and give me nuts. I ended up in cardiac arrest at local hospital getting zapped because of someone like you.
    wow, that's scary!!! Thank god you came out alright. I would be livid if my child had a reaction due to someone deliberately being careless and sending their kids to school with nuts etc. God help them that's all I can say.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Preschool food policies

Quote Originally Posted by Cleigh View Post
    I still send my kid to school with nuts and peanut butter. Im sorry but its not my childs fault someone else is allergic. If they dont want a reaction, dont touch it. Im not going to make my son miss out on foods he likes just because other children arent allowed it.
    wow... u do know some people can die from just the smell of nuts.. they dont even have to be in the same room. Those rules are there for a reason.. so selfish!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Closed Thread
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast