Closed Thread
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleigh View Post
    Its so funny that as soon as I write something like that everyone jumps down my throat, but seems most other posts just get looked over and ignored. Boo hoo
    I think the other posts were probably overlooked because you were the only one who told other kids with allergies to get stuffed you will send nuts anyway

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We have no nuts no sugary pre packaged snacks and no kiwi fruit (a child has an allergy).

Im happy to comply.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Raising Leprechauns For This Useful Post:

blubber  (13-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Preschool food policies

Quote Originally Posted by Cleigh View Post
    I still send my kid to school with nuts and peanut butter. Im sorry but its not my childs fault someone else is allergic. If they dont want a reaction, dont touch it. Im not going to make my son miss out on foods he likes just because other children arent allowed it.
    Sorry? I'm not one of those parents who have to worry every day of their kid is going to have a life threatening reaction, but you are exactly the kind of person I would be afraid of.

Can you imagine what your own child would go through if it was his/her food that caused a reaction in another child?! The potential emotion ramifications are awful.

It's not just touching food that causes reactions. I have an adult acquaintance whose throat starts to swell up and he has a reaction if he even walks into a room where someone has prepared a peanut butter sandwich. The smell alone sets his anaphylaxis off.

If you know about the severity of anaphylaxis and still think it's ok to just send the food along because you think you're justified because your child was lucky enough to be born without a potentially fatal allergy... Well, you're just... we're not allowed to name-call, so I won't.
    Last edited by Justwant2beamummy; 13-11-2012 at 18:45.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Preschool food policies

Quote Originally Posted by Euphrosyne View Post
    My LO is a long way off preschool so not actual policy examples here.

I think there are two quite different issues here.

Firstly, foods being banned for the safety of other students. I'd like to think all parents would have no issue complying with such requests. I'm sure sometimes parents may believe the banning of foods is simply a knee jerk reaction (I'm sure sometimes it is). It is up to the school to clearly explain why such bans are in place to ensure parents don't underestimate the risks.

The second is banning food for nutritional reasons. I would hit the roof if a school was so presumptuous as to send me advice on how to feed my own child. I would be beyond livid if they did not allow my child to eat food I had supplied because it was not deemed healthy enough. It is not a schools place to tell a parent how to feed their child, it is not their role and they are not qualified to make such judgements.

A couple of links for those interested....

NSW Guidelines for Anaphylaxis in Schools http://www.schools.nsw.edu.au/media/...delines_v2.pdf

NSW Nutrition in Schools Policy https://www.det.nsw.edu.au/policies/...20110420.shtml

I've always been curious why peanut allergies are grouped in with nut allergies when peanuts are a legume
    Unfortunately sometimes going off at someone won't help!
    We.coped a lot of cranky parents because we had to follow certain guidelines or loose a lot of funding and get in trouble,

No worker wants to.be a ***** to a kid but when the director in enforcing it for funding purposes and also other govt bodies it is horrible to be abused because of it

Sent from my LG-E400f using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption
    It was DD's birthday so i baked a butter cake to take in. I had to take it home. Apparently due to 4 of the kids having allergies parents were actually encouraged not to send food with the kids. They get Breakfast, morning tea, lunch and afternoon tea. I guess i understand but i was gutted about the cake

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep because children with nut allergies who could possible die is HILARIOUS!! Just as funny are people who make fun of children with cancer

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Preschool food policies

I've read that kids might have a smear of peanut butter on their hand then touch something that an allergic child comes in contact with, but couldn't this just as easily happen if a child had peanut butter on toast for breakfast before pre-school / school? I'm not debating whether the allergens should be banned as I know they should, but I'm just wondering what the approach to this scenario should be?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

Cleigh  (13-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by JR03 View Post
    I've read that kids might have a smear of peanut butter on their hand then touch something that an allergic child comes in contact with, but couldn't this just as easily happen if a child had peanut butter on toast for breakfast before pre-school / school? I'm not debating whether the allergens should be banned as I know they should, but I'm just wondering what the approach to this scenario should be?
    It could but the chances are less likely as the child has to touch many.things between school and home, it is also why alot of pre schools have a wash hands apon entry aproach to things.

The risk is alot higher if the item is eaten on premesis

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby star View Post
    Unfortunately sometimes going off at someone won't help!
    We.coped a lot of cranky parents because we had to follow certain guidelines or loose a lot of funding and get in trouble,

No worker wants to.be a ***** to a kid but when the director in enforcing it for funding purposes and also other govt bodies it is horrible to be abused because of it

I'm not one to shoot the messenger, nor "go off". I am cognisant that the front line worker has little to no influence in this matter. It's aweful to be abused for something you have no control over.

Of course I would be taking my issue up the chain of command to find a suitable solution. Guidelines are simply that, not legal requirements.

I'm interested how funding could be dependent on foods that a parent supplies their child. I've worked most of my career in government so I am fully aware how ludicrous some of their requirements are.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Euphrosyne View Post
    I'm not one to shoot the messenger, nor "go off". I am cognisant that the front line worker has little to no influence in this matter. It's aweful to be abused for something you have no control over.

Of course I would be taking my issue up the chain of command to find a suitable solution. Guidelines are simply that, not legal requirements.

I'm interested how funding could be dependent on foods that a parent supplies their child. I've worked most of my career in government so I am fully aware how ludicrous some of their requirements are.
    I was simply a worker so do not know how the funding worked but the director told us we would loose funding and get in trouble , it related to docs or some healthy eating thing not sure as i qas only there 9 months and never involved.with funding

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast