Closed Thread
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleigh View Post
    I still send my kid to school with nuts and peanut butter. Im sorry but its not my childs fault someone else is allergic. If they dont want a reaction, dont touch it. Im not going to make my son miss out on foods he likes just because other children arent allowed it.

Seriously that is such a rude and ignorant statement. You seriously believe your child going without peanut butter for 6 hours five days a week, is more important than another childs life?

I dont think it is wrong to teach children that once in a while we have to make sacrifices for others.

God forbid your child develops life threatening allergies hopefully for their sake the other parents in their class are more tolerant than you.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Meld85 For This Useful Post:

WorkingClassMum  (13-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Preschool food policies

I still send my kid to school with nuts and peanut butter. Im sorry but its not my childs fault someone else is allergic. If they dont want a reaction, dont touch it. Im not going to make my son miss out on foods he likes just because other children arent allowed it.
    Also some children are so allergic that having the item in the same room can cause a reaction.

I'm sure your arrogance would disappear if your child was the one with the allergy.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using BubHub

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Nazgul For This Useful Post:

WorkingClassMum  (13-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    When ds1 was at daycare and we had to provide lunches we had a list of packaged foods that weren't allowed. I found it frustrating because we don't give our kids much sugar, we monitor the sugar intake so when a note came home with a handful of sultana's I sent in his lunch box I was quite mad as this would occur less than once a week. I went in there and argued this and told the director that I will decide what my child will or won't eat. I never had a note sent home since!
    But on the other hand I can understand because I guess some parents do let their kids eat alot of sugary foods on a daily basis.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

This is about preschool, right - not primary school?

So, effectively - your son's right to eat what he likes as versus another child's right to life?

In primary school its a bit different, in kinder/preschool - kids under 5 I think you are being unashamdely self entitled

I hope no child dies because of your actions

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Preschool food policies

That is terrible! A child could die because you have sent this food to school with your son. It's not just a matter of the child touching the food...some allergies are so severe that all your son would have to do is breathe in their face and it could set of an allergic reaction.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am so sorry you feel this way! Your actions could really harm a child with a nut allergy! There is a girl in my daughters class who has a severe nut allergy. If a child ate a peanut butter sandwich and there was some on her/his hands (a smear that couldn't even be seen) and he played on the swings and she went after him she will react badly. Even if the child was not in her class but then went outside to play and they touched the same playground equipment she could have a severe reaction. As you can imagine her mother was pretty stressed out at the idea of sending her to school. Fortunately our school is very proactive and all classes are warned against nut products across the whole school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Its so funny that as soon as I write something like that everyone jumps down my throat, but seems most other posts just get looked over and ignored. Boo hoo

Thanks
    Reviews
    My LO is a long way off preschool so not actual policy examples here.

I think there are two quite different issues here.

Firstly, foods being banned for the safety of other students. I'd like to think all parents would have no issue complying with such requests. I'm sure sometimes parents may believe the banning of foods is simply a knee jerk reaction (I'm sure sometimes it is). It is up to the school to clearly explain why such bans are in place to ensure parents don't underestimate the risks.

The second is banning food for nutritional reasons. I would hit the roof if a school was so presumptuous as to send me advice on how to feed my own child. I would be beyond livid if they did not allow my child to eat food I had supplied because it was not deemed healthy enough. It is not a schools place to tell a parent how to feed their child, it is not their role and they are not qualified to make such judgements.

A couple of links for those interested....

NSW Guidelines for Anaphylaxis in Schools http://www.schools.nsw.edu.au/media/...delines_v2.pdf

NSW Nutrition in Schools Policy https://www.det.nsw.edu.au/policies/...20110420.shtml

I've always been curious why peanut allergies are grouped in with nut allergies when peanuts are a legume

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: Preschool food policies

Its so funny that as soon as I write something like that everyone jumps down my throat, but seems most other posts just get looked over and ignored. Boo hoo
    Absolutely hilarious. I have a pain in my side from laughing. Not. I'll tell you what, I'll organise a meeting so you can personally discuss your views with the parents of the 5 children at our preschool that have epipens because of nut allergies, let's see you laugh then.

Unbelievable.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gothel For This Useful Post:

blubber  (13-11-2012),Cleigh  (13-11-2012),Pawzette  (14-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yeah, really hilarious.

I had hoped you were joking, but it seems you do think your precious childs right to their favourite spread takes precedence over another childs life.

Just awful.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (14-11-2012),blubber  (13-11-2012),Boobycino  (13-11-2012)

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast