Closed Thread
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ICanDream View Post
    DS's school has no exclusion policy on food but children are NOT allowed to share their food and they apparently are very strict on it. Kids sit and eat before they are allowed to go play so that they are supervised while they eat. I'm still dubious about it but so far this year I haven't heard of any incidents so maybe it does work.
    I think that could work if there are no children with allergies in the class/school

My DS has a pine nut allergy (thankfully not anaphylactic but still pretty severe) and like a lot of others I used to think so long as he didn't EAT pine nuts he would be fine.

DP and I sat down with a bowl of pasta with some pesto and kept it well out of reach of DS. Low and behold, 10 minutes later his lips were swollen and he was covered in hives. I think he must've just touched us... I honestly have no idea how it happened but I'd imagine with kids, their bad hygiene and their propensity to touch everything it would be a nightmare for parents, children and teachers to have a 'nuts OK but no sharing' policy at school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Preschool food policies

Quote Originally Posted by Cleigh View Post
    I still send my kid to school with nuts and peanut butter. Im sorry but its not my childs fault someone else is allergic. If they dont want a reaction, dont touch it. Im not going to make my son miss out on foods he likes just because other children arent allowed it.
    It's alright guys. We have these sort of selfish, ignorant parents at our school who believe their precious child's desire for a peanut butter sandwich outweighs my precious child's life.
    That's why my anaphylactic child is absolutely amazing with dealing with and being aware of his allergies.
    It's not his fault selfish people exist, so I teach him accordingly.

3. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to faroutbrusselsprout For This Useful Post:

Alphabetsoup  (13-11-2012),atomicmama  (14-11-2012),BlissedOut  (13-11-2012),cluckcluck  (13-11-2012),ermergerd  (13-11-2012),GlitterFarts  (13-11-2012),ItWasntMe  (13-11-2012),Kiplusthree  (14-11-2012),Maia  (13-11-2012),Meld85  (13-11-2012),Pawzette  (14-11-2012),Raising Leprechauns  (13-11-2012),River Song  (13-11-2012),shelle65  (13-11-2012),trishalishous  (13-11-2012),WineTime  (13-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

The girls preschool has a strict list of what you can and can't send. Unfortunately they get sent with the same things every week as even things that aren't on the no send list are sent back with a pamphlet on healthy eating.
    Sultanas/dried fruits and unbuttered popcorn too unhealthy, homemade cakes and pikelets, flavored milk allowed though.

I now only send them with carrots or bananas, a ham and cheese wrap or salad, a fruit cup, yoghurt and cruskits with either jam or cheese.
    Vegemite is also allowed even though it's filled with preservatives (I have no problem with vegemite but it's worse than things they don't allow) and they have cooking days where they make slushies, pizza, chocolate crackles etc...

I think definitely exclude foods that effect those with allergies but they need a more consistent list for other items.
    Last edited by MrsOhara; 13-11-2012 at 14:03.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    But Benji there must be kids with allergies which is why I don't understand how it works. I don't send any peanut things anyway but it seems risky to me and too much responsibility on the kids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    Just being spoken to by someone who has recently eaten peanuts can trigger a reaction in many, or particles left over on hands or the table surface (wiping doesn't get them all).

When that reaction can easily result in death, it's just not worth it to send your kids with anything including nuts, especially when you've specifically been asked not to.

It's disgustingly selfish.
    um I was agreeing with everyone about the nuts?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ICanDream View Post
    But Benji there must be kids with allergies which is why I don't understand how it works. I don't send any peanut things anyway but it seems risky to me and too much responsibility on the kids.
    Sounds risky to me, too. I've seen first-hand an allergic reaction to a food when the child in question didn't even eat it!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Preschool food policies

Quote Originally Posted by MrsOhara View Post
    The girls preschool has a strict list of what you can and can't send. Unfortunately they get sent with the same things every week as even things that aren't on the no send list are sent back with a pamphlet on healthy eating.
    Sultanas/dried fruits and unbuttered popcorn too unhealthy, homemade cakes and pikelets, flavored milk allowed though.

I now only send them with carrots or bananas, a ham and cheese wrap or salad, a fruit cup, yoghurt and cruskits with either jam or cheese.
    Vegemite is also allowed even though it's filled with preservatives (I have no problem with vegemite but it's worse than things they don't allow) and they have cooking days where they make slushies, pizza, chocolate crackles etc...

I think definitely exclude foods that effect those with allergies but they need a more consistent list for other items.
    Yeah i had that problem too, one day worker x allowed abc food the next day I'm being in trouble cos child a is eating it, so frustrating

Sent from my LG-E400f using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wannawannabe View Post
    um I was agreeing with everyone about the nuts?
    I know. I was adding to it.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Preschool food policies

sometimes its not a healthy food issue its more that packaged foods have an ingredients list while home made food doesnt. I know centres that only allow bought birthday cakes etc.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Dsd's kinder was like that, no egg or nuts but also no kiwi fruit because some was allergic.
    Her school now is no nuts, they don't allow juice or cordial and absolutely no packaged food. You can put your shapes in a container and leave the rubbish at home but you can't bring your shapes packet to school.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast