Closed Thread
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't really understand why everyone's getting their knickers in a knot about schools requiring 'healthy foods'. It's been mentioned several times through this thread that schools do it to try and assist those families that need further education on healthy food choices. Has anyone noticed the obesity epidemic in this country? And all the major health problems that then stem from that? That is why schools are doing it. As a PP said, if the parents won't do it, someone needs to!
    Just like some PP saying re. allergen foods, that "I'm sure your child can survive 6 hours without peanut butter", well, I'm sure you're child can survive 6 hours without a treat? No one is saying don't give treats to your child, they are simply suggesting that to try and instill healthy eating habits in ALL kids, kids should eat healthy options at school and save the treats for after school. Kinda simple really.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Euphrosyne View Post
    This is not a personal attack, but (never a good start lol) who are you (teachers in general) to suggest/talk about what foods a parent should be giving a child?Putting teachers in this position is not fair.
    Off topic, but isn't this why there's a problem with the education system now? Instead of teachers just teaching the curriculum (Mathis, writing, history, geography etc) they now have to teach kids how to behave, socialize and give and dietary advice??? With the exception of healthy living units where you look at the body as a whole, is there really that many deadbeat parents around that teachers have to police kids lunch boxes. How about the schools leave the parenting to parents and the teaching to teachers?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Preschool food policies

Quote Originally Posted by Cleigh View Post
    I still send my kid to school with nuts and peanut butter. Im sorry but its not my childs fault someone else is allergic. If they dont want a reaction, dont touch it. Im not going to make my son miss out on foods he likes just because other children arent allowed it.
    Wow, after reading a few threads, you really do sound like a selfish person. If people don't do what you want or like, you will just do it anyways, and in this situation put a child's life at risk. How about you put yourself in the shoes of a mother of a child with a severe peanut allergy, AND THEN open your mouth.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Preschool food policies

Teachers/schools need to give healthy food advice or create policies because although you might know what to feed your child to maintain their health, a lot of parents don't, or don't care enough to do so.

My mum is a teacher and some of the lunches kids bring to school are appalling, and consistently so. Unfortunately schools now feel they are obligated for the sake of the best interests of the children to have policies in place. Personally I'm grateful that someone is looking out for Australia's children, even if it causes other's a slight inconvenience.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Marepoppin View Post
    I wasn't going to weigh in... But here I am lol. My son is starting at a new kindy next year and the parent handbook has a list of acceptable/unacceptable foods. Well. I do not support the heart foundations healthy eating pyramid. I have very strong views about nutrition, based on extensive reading of published journals, scientists and professionals of health. So, while I won't say anything on here that will leave me defending myself, suffice it to say that I expect to have a few run-ins with the centre director regarding 'healthy choices'. I choose what my child eats, an thats how it should be, providing that I am not knowingly endangering any one else's child. I won't have a daycare centre telling me that I am wrong about what's best for my child
    Quote Originally Posted by Euphrosyne View Post
    I could not agree more.
    I totally agree with you both.

I want to say so much more, but I honestly don't know where to start.

For the record, I have NO problem whatsoever accomodating severe allergies. My DD has coeliac disease so I understand what small particles of problem foods can do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    I don't really understand why everyone's getting their knickers in a knot about schools requiring 'healthy foods'. It's been mentioned several times through this thread that schools do it to try and assist those families that need further education on healthy food choices. Has anyone noticed the obesity epidemic in this country? And all the major health problems that then stem from that? That is why schools are doing it. As a PP said, if the parents won't do it, someone needs to!
    Just like some PP saying re. allergen foods, that "I'm sure your child can survive 6 hours without peanut butter", well, I'm sure you're child can survive 6 hours without a treat? No one is saying don't give treats to your child, they are simply suggesting that to try and instill healthy eating habits in ALL kids, kids should eat healthy options at school and save the treats for after school. Kinda simple really.
    Teachers are trained in teaching, not nutrition. I am the parent, a parent that feeds my child well. Comparing not bringing a peanut butter sandwich with waiting for an LCM bar is not comparible. I would never dream of sending the former bc it endangers other children. If I want to send the occasional treat that isn't an allergen food, it is effecting no one but my child.

I have zero issue with pre schools, DC's and schools pushing healthy eating, in fact as I have said, I believe they should. But banning everything bar yoghurt, cheese and crackers and fruit is ridiculous. Now if there is a child who has a cold pie and chips or chocolate every single day, there's an issue there that needs to be addressed. But the occasional little treat? nope, I'm the parent. I don't believe in prohibition full stop, and as I have said, if a family doesn't eat healthy then the child will just come home to crap anyway. The key is education, not banning food.

Thanks
    Reviews

My SIL was having a go at one of her sons preschool. Basically he was not allowed to eat his lunch because it didn't fit in with their healthy eating guidelines. I'm sorry but when she told me what she packed daily I was disgusted that a parent could be so negligent with their child and isn't it a carers responsibly to report any negligence.
    His lunch box was ALL packaged foods because "that is what he liked and eats, he doesn't eat fruit or veges".
    So if the preschool didn't point out to my SIL the bad food choices she was making for her child who would?

On a similar note anybody who still takes peanut butter to a but free school should be asked to leave. My daughter loves peanut butter but in this world we share sometimes we make tiny sacrifices.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I'm torn re the healthy lunchboxes.

On the one hand I agree with PPs that it's lousy that responsible parents who feed their children fresh, whole foods the vast majority of the time can't send an occasional treat. On the other hand, I think it gives the poor children who are fed nothing but processed foods lacking in nutrition at least a few hours, 5 days a week to be fed something decent.

It's a shame that irresponsible people can cause such inconveniences for the rest of society.

I think my DS's school has guidelines but we can send whichever foods we wish, so long as it's not nuts (and I support this as there are children at his school with anaphylaxis). I very, very occasionally will send a muffin or something if I've been baking over the weekend but it's pretty rare. I like the fact that I can pack his lunchbos full of fresh fruit and veg and other healthy foods and he cannot nag me for anything else....mwahaha.

I feel so angry at parents who feed their children nothing but junk. It makes me furious. I feel so lousy if I've had a binge over the weekend, I worry about their arteries, how tired they must be, whether they will get diabetes, their teeth... I figure lets give them at least a bit of a fighting chance with some healthy food at school because the parents are too stupid/lazy.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

blubber  (14-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Step away from the keyboard.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BornToBe For This Useful Post:

Cleigh  (14-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

I doubt any of us think we are perfect parents, just responsible ones who would hopefully never intentionally put a child's life at risk
    We're you serious or not? Do you send your kids to school with nuts that are banned as they could potentially kill another child?that's all we were asking