+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: Why is it so damn hard.....

It is a hard time of year to find work, but as I do some recruitment my biggest tip is to taylor you cover letter for each job to be specifically for that job/company,addressing the person by name etc. when I get resumes where it is obvious the person has just clicked on the seek apply button, I automatically assume they arent genuine. Keep your resume brief, 2pg max, dont put your d.o.b. Where possible go into a store/pub etc and speak to the manager, always be really polite to the receptionist. Dont ever just drop your resume off, discuss with someone and make it clear you are flexible and available immediately. In person/on phone is best, dont bombard with emails. Be pushy in am enthusiastic way, not an annoying way. I hope some of these tips can help you.

Sent from my LG-P500 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Why is it so damn hard.....

I nearly started a thread the same as this yesterday!

It is so hard to get a job! It is even worse when you get rejected but they don't tell you why.

I also got rejected by target and ignored by kmart. Probably because the casual pay rate for adults is more than they want to pay.

I thankfully got a job but its just a Christmas casual job but better than nothing. I am still applying for fulltime just in case

It is so disheartening when you keep getting rejected.

Good luck with your search

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Why is it so damn hard.....

I hear you! I do aged care applied for numerous jobs and hear nothing dp is a plumber got retrenched just before hasties went under and spent 4 months looking for work it sucks!!

Try temp agencies best of luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Pillow Talk, Spotlight, Noni B, House etc? Shops where customers don't want a 18 year old serving/assisting them but rather someone their own age?

Places like Big W, Woolworths, Target etc apply online and also go in store to try and talk to a manager.

Most pubs/restaurants might be looking for more staff with Christmas coming up.

Even though you said school hours, you might just have to look at doing that 1 or 2 nights a week to be able to secure the job.

It's basically who is going to be more reliable/available.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

There are some businesses out there who don't care about your age. A few years ago I worked at McDonald's and while they did have teenagers on weekends and after school, during the day I was the youngest by about 20 years. The others were all old enough to be my mother. This was in a food court and not belonging to an individual so they weren't as worried as the franchise owners were about how much they had to hand over.

They are out there but I understand your frustration. I don't know why juniors are so sought after... Surely handing over a few extra bucks an hour for someone who is probably going to do a better job than a kid who is only working so they can buy new clothes or whatever isn't a bad idea?

bambino is offline Autistic Today, My Genius Tomorrow
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I've done all those stores.
    I applied online for Woolies, Big W, Target, Kmart etc etc.

I have the evening flexibility when DH gets home, and I've been to my local pubs and cafes.

They all say "we'll get back to you" and they never do.
    I call them to follow up my app, and they're like, oh sorry we don't need staff right now or the position has been filled!
    It's insane! And rude on their behalf!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I guess lots of the major places have done their Christmas hiring and you're competing against uni students on their holidays who literally don't have anything to do but work. I found sizzler very good, organised an interview 20 minutes after I submitted my online application.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Definitely register with more temp agencies, and call them regularly - if they haven't heard from you in a while, they assume you've gotten a job and your resume gets lower and lower in the pile.

Do you have any reception experience? When I was at uni I used to get offered temp reception jobs alllll the time. Temp receptionists are super hard to find as it is quite a skill, and they always need replacements if someone is sick or on leave - you can't just make do while a receptionist is away. At lots of those temp jobs I got offered part-time or full-time work after I'd been there a few weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    There are some businesses out there who don't care about your age. A few years ago I worked at McDonald's and while they did have teenagers on weekends and after school, during the day I was the youngest by about 20 years. The others were all old enough to be my mother. This was in a food court and not belonging to an individual so they weren't as worried as the franchise owners were about how much they had to hand over.

They are out there but I understand your frustration. I don't know why juniors are so sought after... Surely handing over a few extra bucks an hour for someone who is probably going to do a better job than a kid who is only working so they can buy new clothes or whatever isn't a bad idea?
    The difference between a 19 and under employee for us and an 'adult' employee is around $5 per hour plus superannuation payments. It means a hell of a lot to us and can mean the difference between our business making a profit or a loss.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Can you tailor your resume to each job you are applying for... To increase your chances?

I hope you get something soon. Nothing sucks more than someone who needs work, who really wants a job to be unable to find one.