+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Everyone has a comment and I'm over it!!

Hey OP, I felt like I was reading my own post when I read yours! It's really frustrating and I have to hold back from giving people a mouthful when they say 'you won't last', 'disposables are so much easier' etc etc. I just want to tell them I'm not looking for the easy option, I'm doing the better option for me, our wallet and the environment! Luckily my DH, mum and MIL (surprisingly!) are all 100% behind me on this so I just smile politely at all the negative comments and think 'I'll show you!!!' Ha ha!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to pumpkinseed For This Useful Post:

PR2bMum  (15-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I think sometimes parents are touchy about their own style of parenting so they see people doing things differently to them as being an attack. It's pretty universal - when I was younger and vegetarian if I turned meat down and they asked why I'd just say politely "no thanks, I'm vegetarian"... that automatically seemed to mean that I was looking for a lecture on vitamins and nutrients and how you can't get enough from a vegetarian diet... usually coming from someone extremely obese with diabetes with a known bad diet.

It's a defense mechanism. I think if you're comfortable with your own way of parenting, you won't get defensive of what others do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Everyone told me to use disposables too, except for my mother who believes it's child abuse to use sposies (she's nuts).

I'm sooo glad I ignored them. Now they all see how easy they are, and honestly they aren't hard work at all. It is no different to washing four or five extra pieces of clothes a day. And we've saved a fortune and my son has a fluffy cute bum.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    I think sometimes parents are touchy about their own style of parenting so they see people doing things differently to them as being an attack. It's pretty universal - when I was younger and vegetarian if I turned meat down and they asked why I'd just say politely "no thanks, I'm vegetarian"... that automatically seemed to mean that I was looking for a lecture on vitamins and nutrients and how you can't get enough from a vegetarian diet... usually coming from someone extremely obese with diabetes with a known bad diet.

It's a defense mechanism. I think if you're comfortable with your own way of parenting, you won't get defensive of what others do.
    Agree with this completely.

I had many people scoff/act like I was crazy upon finding out I was using terry flats. I just ignored them and never really understood why they were interested in what was going on my daughter's bum! Using disposables never entered my head, personally I find the idea of them crazy. I'm sure the millions of parents who used cloth before disposables were around would tell you that doing a load of nappies every second day was hardly the hardest thing about parenting! It's just so easy and now with MCNs even easier! I use them at night and for going out. So cute.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I find it kind of sad that we have reached a point where people are more judgemental about using cloth nappies than what they are over using disposables.

I get it all the time too, the snarky look and the 'oh we'll see how long that lasts"

Can't wait to use my MCN's

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Grebbeci For This Useful Post:

PR2bMum  (15-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

MCNs are awesome, too bad they are missing out on cute fatty bums!

It's funny you would think that it would be the cloth users getting all judgy on the sposie users.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Louy For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (15-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

I use cloth at home and carry disposables while out and use them for night. It works for us. Lots of people lectured me while pregnant too but like someone else said 'welcome to parenthood'. Someone asked looked at me in disgust when I mentioned I had two coffees that day while breastfeeding! I haven't ammended by diet as DD is not bothered!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: Everyone has a comment and I'm over it!!

You'll get used to all the comments. They dont stop once the baby is born either. Eventually you stop caring what others say

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: Everyone has a comment and I'm over it!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    It's pretty universal - when I was younger and vegetarian if I turned meat down and they asked why I'd just say politely "no thanks, I'm vegetarian"... that automatically seemed to mean that I was looking for a lecture on vitamins and nutrients and how you can't get enough from a vegetarian diet... usually coming from someone extremely obese with diabetes with a known bad diet.
    Oh my goodness yes! The ignorant comments of " Oh, where do you get your calcium /iron? "
    I just wanna smack them over that stupid brain of theirs!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I never thought of using MCN. I figure by the time the little one arrives that I am just going to want the disposables; who would have time to do all that extra work. But now you have me thinking and I might research it before the bundle of joy arrived; which is still a long way off.