Closed Thread
Page 21 of 157 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171121 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default January / February IVF cycle buddies: Lucky 2013!

Quote Originally Posted by Katelyn Kelly View Post
    My greatest fear is going under a general for egg pick up. Does everyone do this or can they just do it under light sedation? For those of you that have done Ivf before, how did you find the egg retrieval?
    Welcome Katelyn, I had a general for my EPU, due to my left ovary being stuck to my uterus, so FS advised GA because of pain. Have you had a GA before?

The clinics are pretty efficient at these procedures, and DH said they managed to get 15 eggs out of me in 20 minutes. I went in, got onto the table, the anaesthetist injected something and I dozed right off. The next thing I new, I was back in recovery and eating raisin toast within 10 minutes of waking up.

From what I've heard, most ladies will have light sedation and this is generally tolerated well. Make sure to rest and drink lots of fluids afterwards!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Katelyn

I went under for the egg collection and it was a breeze. You just wake up and it's all over. It only takes a very short time. The staff put me totally at ease. Why are you fearful of it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Hi Katelyn, welcome! Like many of the others, I've been under a few times now but only since TTC! Once for a D&C after a miscarriage, once for a laparoscopy and once for egg pickup. First two times were general anaesthetic and egg pickup was the sleeping/ 'twilight' anaesthetic (though it seemed like the same procedure to me). Recovery after EPU was the easiest of them all. It is a bit weird/ scary at first but once you've done it a few times (or even once) it becomes quite routine and normal. You will be fine, and I found that the Drs & nurses were falling over themselves to make sure I was okay and comfortable!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Katelyn,

I'm in my first round of IVF and had my egg collection yesterday.
    I was sedated and then they used a local anaesthetic. It took under 15 minutes, I couldn't believe how quick it was.
    Everyone's experience is different, I have heard of people who drifted off to sleep once being sedated!
    I barely felt the local anaesthetic needles - infact, I asked my doctor if she had done them yet.
    I did feel when she started the egg collection, but she topped up my sedative which helped.
    It did hurt a little, but honestly wasn't that bad. I closed my eyes, focused on breathing and held my partners hand - he was probably in more pain as I was holding his hand so tightly!

I was sore afterwards, with cramping with felt like period pain. And had some internal pain when I sat upright (I'm assuming when I moved into a sitting position it disrupted the extraction site).

Feeling so much better today - with hardly any discomfort.

Good luck - thinking of my prize at the end of this journey helped get me through

Thanks
    Reviews
    Every time I've had an EPU (at two different clinics) I've had what they called "light sedation", but it's that "twilight" stuff that still puts you to sleep. I thought it was going to be something that made me out-of-it but I was still awake, but nope. I love the sedation; I love the feeling of falling asleep and being powerless to stop it, and I love how sleepy and satisfied I feel when I wake up. I get to experience it next week, but unfortunately not for EPU. I'm having another procedure where I will hopefully find out what's medically wrong with me at the moment, and whether it's something minor so I can still cycle this month... not holding my breath though.

Thanks
    Reviews

I'm have never been so excited for a period to start lol. Day one today of our first ever IVF ICSI cycle, had bloods done hoping they are baseline so I can start injections tomorrow! Oh I hope I'm not let down this month.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Best of luck Bindy!

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Katelyn Kelly View Post
    Hi everyone!

It is so wonderful to find others to share this difficult journey with. Well we will give iui one more shot in January and if it fails we will be doing Ivf in February 2013. We have been ttc for 18 months now so the thought of Ivf is exciting but daunting. My greatest fear is going under a general for egg pick up. Does everyone do this or can they just do it under light sedation? For those of you that have done Ivf before, how did you find the egg retrieval?

thanks so much for any guidance you might be able to offer. I really appreciate it.

Katelyn xx
    Hello

Well hopefully you don't need to do IVF but in all honesty I'm a massive needle phobe & I've been under 3 times in 12 months.. My wisdom teeth in Jan, EPU in March & laparoscopy in August - the EPU was by far the easiest! The least painful & the easiest in terms of walking out & recovery. My pain was mainly period type pain. I'm in future going to ask for a local before they use the other needle though, I felt it made me more comfortable when they put the larger needle in!
    Best of luck! Don't be afraid, if I can do it, seriously anyone can!

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Bindy111 View Post
    I'm have never been so excited for a period to start lol. Day one today of our first ever IVF ICSI cycle, had bloods done hoping they are baseline so I can start injections tomorrow! Oh I hope I'm not let down this month.
    HAHA - how times change, counting down to our periods in excitement!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi There - wow can't believe how busy this thread is! Hoping to join in if you will have me? Just moved over from the Nov/Dec thread with another BFN and looking to do another cycle in Jan. I see some familiar names from previous threads (feeling like an old timer at this now) and hoping for positive vibes and outcomes for everyone this time around.