+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default What makes a GREAT lunchbox?

Ok, my son starts Prep next year.... HIT me with all your Mummy wisdom regarding all things lunches, ice packs and specifically... LUNCHBOXES! :-)

What makes a great lunchbox, what brands to buy, which to avoid, is simpler better?

Thank you from a Newbie School Mum

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Happy2be3 For This Useful Post:

AreWeThereYet  (13-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Great question. My DD1 is starting next year too so im interested in answers

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: What makes a GREAT lunchbox?

Maybe it's as I suspected..... A right of passage that each new school Mum must tackle on her own......?

Thanks
    Reviews

I wish I could help but DD has three lunch boxes and I don't think any of them are great! She prefers the cooler bags with an ice brick, but I don't find them big enough and after 3 terms they stink, I have soaked them and they are still gross. Might have to go on the hunt for a new one wore school starts next year...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm not a school mum so I can't really say but I like to goobyn bynto lunchboxes http://ecochild.com.au/brands/goodby...riginal-blue-1

There is a section to fit a 250ml bottle of frozen water or juice etc to keep it all cold. I just like it because you can fit lots of little things in and it would easily fit into backpacks etc but might not keep it cold enough.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: What makes a GREAT lunchbox?

Quote Originally Posted by shelle65 View Post
    I wish I could help but DD has three lunch boxes and I don't think any of them are great! She prefers the cooler bags with an ice brick, but I don't find them big enough and after 3 terms they stink, I have soaked them and they are still gross. Might have to go on the hunt for a new one wore school starts next year...
    Well, you have helped! Now I know that the cooler bags smell after half a year :-) I have a sectioned lunch box that I got my DS for kindy and what I've learnt with those is... It limits what I can put in there, the top sections leak and it's a pain in the a$$ to wash in the sink!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Well i'm still searching but problems i've had are the lunchbox being way to shallow, which makes it useless as i can't fit an apple in it (which is regular lunch item for DD) and not long enough, which can be a problem with fitting everything in.
    I think it depends on what you plan to pack - i would have in mind a typical lunch you would pack and pick the lunchbox that would best fit that lunch. There doesn't seem to be a huge amount of options re lunchboxes though.

Thanks
    Reviews

We use the Tupperware one, they have a cooler bag type thing and in summer is a little compartment you can pop an ice pack in. DD has a range of their lunch boxes different shapes and sizes. I love them they really keep the food well!

Thanks
    Reviews

That one looks neat rodeobull! I like how it looks like there are few parts that can get lost. Did u buy from that site? What was postage cost and time like?

I'm not a school mum yet, but I've packed my share of lunches and have tried a few lunchboxes.

I would personally not recommend the ones that come with a few little containers. I thought this was a great idea, but the containers get lost, lids get separated and putting lunches together is a bit of a bother sometimes when you have to spend 20 mins riffling through the cupboard (my plastics cupboard is one of those annoyingly deep corner ones too).

I really like the nude food lunchbox, personally, and I like the klippo containers (I buy them from woolies/Coles) as the lids are attached. I'm not sure how watertight they are though.
    Last edited by Daydream Believer; 13-11-2012 at 08:25.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by shelle65 View Post
    Have you tried the Tupperware one? We have a pink and black one, fits the water bottle on the side, washes really well, dries fast to!