+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Which breast pump??

I know this may have been asked...
    I was going to wait til bubs is here before purchasing a breast pump just because I don't want to waste money if I can't do it. Then I was thinking if hiring but that would cost more than buying. Then I discovered the postage might take weeks and I'm already over 37 weeks!

So my question is which is best from experience??
    Purely yours ameda pumps
    Unimom forte
    Or another one that is a closed system??
    I will need a hospital grade pump as my bub will need surgeries and may not breastfeed so I want to express for feeds as much as I can.
    I'm concerned about open/closed systems due to bubs being susceptible to germs.

Suggestions/experience? Cost is a factor too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi there!

I have been exclusively pumping for 5.5 months now (DD was in NICU for 3.5 months and we continued when she came home).

I used the Medela Symphony and wouldn't use any other one! I hired one through the NICU and had to return it when she came home. I then used a Medela swing that I had bought for a couple of weeks but noticed my supply dropping - so I went and hired a Symphony from the chemist and we're back in business.

I had my milk tested for bacteria at the NICU because I donated to their milk bank and using the symphony + washing after every use + sterilising 1-2 times a day and it was well within acceptable limits. DD was very fragile and never had an issue.

As for costs - the symphony to hire can be about $30 per week or so. Can you check with the hospital to see if you can hire through their NICU?

x

3. The Following User Says Thank You to GM01 For This Useful Post:

Tamtam  (12-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok TamTam, I'm stalking you now The Mater have the Medela pumps you can use, both in NICU and on the Children's cardiac ward. So you won't need to worry about getting one while you are in hospital, and you will have your own set of attachments to use.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to HunnyBunch For This Useful Post:

Tamtam  (12-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Great advice ladies.

Hunny... So funny!!! I just read your post on my other thread. My baby has hypoplastic right heart syndrome with vsd and tricuspid atresia. Initially we have been told we will go home after a few days like everything is 'normal'. Hence my need for a pump! As I thought I would use the pump in the NICU. She will be 6-8 weeks old before first surgery best case scenario. So I won't have access to the pump. I want to be able to have a supply of breast milk for that first surgery in case of of ng tube etc.

I have read all these things about the medela being open, but they are still pricey. A unimom one I've found for $139 online. Interesting that pp had milk tested for bacteria with medela and it was fine. But still almost $100 more than unimom.
    Argh. So confused!!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews

I have a cherub double pump and I had the single before that the pump maintained the 10pm feed no worries every night for weeks... You can vary the suction and its closed system and it comes with an insulated carry bag
    Good luck with your little one

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bubbabailey For This Useful Post:

Tamtam  (12-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Tamtam it might be worth contacting the Australian breast feeding association too, I think they may have different types of pump that you can hire. At least if you can hire one from somewhere you can try it first and see if it works for you before you outlay a lot of money!

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by wktz View Post
    Hi Tamtam it might be worth contacting the Australian breast feeding association too, I think they may have different types of pump that you can hire. At least if you can hire one from somewhere you can try it first and see if it works for you before you outlay a lot of money!
    Oh good idea! When I looked up hire they basically started from $50 per month just for pump not the attachments you need. Would cost about $70+ and if I can buy for $150 ish I would rather do that. I hadn't thought of contacting them, I will google later.

Thanks
    Reviews

I have a unimom allegro and love it. I know you want hosp grade but I'd imagine the forte is good as well! A bit of a side note, but good luck with everything with your bub. I've seen a couple of your threads and you seem so brave! Will be thinking of you

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Bubintummy View Post
    I have a unimom allegro and love it. I know you want hosp grade but I'd imagine the forte is good as well! A bit of a side note, but good luck with everything with your bub. I've seen a couple of your threads and you seem so brave! Will be thinking of you
    Thanks. I think it seems the unimom ones are pretty good. And much cheaper.
    And thanks for your kind words! I'm not always brave, one day at a time. Just trying to be prepared.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Tamtam View Post
    Thanks. I think it seems the unimom ones are pretty good. And much cheaper.
    And thanks for your kind words! I'm not always brave, one day at a time. Just trying to be prepared.
    They are great especially considering the price! I used the proper big Medea one when my bub was in SCN too and find even the allegro comparable! Good luck again