+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If Im looking for someone to just come and do a bit of gardening I will advertise it for teenagers. I know how hard it is trying to find mney as a teen and Im more than happy to pay someone to come and do dd jobs until my children are old enough to do them. When I was 12-14 I was working but Im not sure if it was cash in hand or not I cant remember..... But your not legally allowed to work until your like 16 or something??? So maybe it was cash but I think it was through my bank and Im pretty sure I was getting super lol Maybe times have changed since then....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    I don't care about babysitting or helping someone out- but other cash in hand work is dangerous. I have known and seen how easy it is to get hurt on the job, I would hate for a child to get seriously hurt and miss out on work etc because of an accident. I cannot imagine what benefit it would be to a kid to take cash in hand anyway- usually it means less pay per an hour. The award wage is so piddy to begin with, I shudder to think of someone getting paid even less and being happy about it!
    I was pretty happy with $60 a week as a preteen/teen lol I dont know what the going rate was but that was freakin awesome for a 12 year old lol

Thanks
    Reviews

Default What is your opinion on teenagers working for cash in hand?

Quote Originally Posted by Cleigh View Post
    But your not legally allowed to work until your like 16 or something??? So maybe it was cash but I think it was through my bank and Im pretty sure I was getting super lol Maybe times have changed since then....
    Legal age is now 14.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsOhara For This Useful Post:

Cleigh  (12-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Re: What is your opinion on teenagers working for cash in hand?

Agreeing with odd jobs for friends/neighbours, baby sitting, lawn mowing etc but not for a business or shop.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

When I was 13/14 my neighbour paid me $15 to walk her dog for half an hour or $25 for an hour.

She had a very overexcited dog who needed the excersize and she thought I might enjoy it.

I loved it. I was obsessed with all things dog related and mum had no problems with me earning extra cash. We didn't have much money growing up so I liked getting some to spend on myself.

I think it's good. It teaches kids responsibility.

If it was for a business, cash in hand, if be a bit wary. But if it was like my situation I don't see any problems at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleigh View Post
    ..... But your not legally allowed to work until your like 16 or something???
    Normally 14years 9months depending on the type of job, some jobs you can be younger. There are restrictions on what hours and how many hours a child of that age can work.

If you work for a family business you can start pretty much whenever, my now 16 yo cousin started working on weekends for a couple of hours when she was 12.

threechooks is offline If my spelling annoys you that's your problem.... I have better things to do than proofread !
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Pretty you don't pay tax until you earn over $100 per week. I remember being 14 and being very annoyed at paying $8 tax because I had earnt just over $100. hmm those were the days

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    It's dodgy for a business, but if they're mowing lawns, washing cars, babysitting for a few hours... so freaking what?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Just be careful with getting other peoples kids to mow lawns etc as your insurance may not cover injuries, this happened to a client of mine, her neighbors son broke his arm while cutting tree branches for her and it became very messy with who paid what medical expenses

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Amira View Post
    One example I can think of is an asian restaurant. Like others have said the main issue I have is if the worker gets hurt.

Babysitting or helping family/friends with lawn mowing isnt what Im concerned with.
    I agree that a business should always employ legally, the thought of a restaurant employing illegally sounds very scary! Injury in any work place can happen let alone a restaurant, especially with inexperienced kids!

Otherwise I think it's great experience for kids, I worked at a big department store, was great to earn my own money at 15, they treated us like sh*t though, coming from my very sheltered home life I think it really helped me learn about the work force and to come out of shell.