+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I heaps of stuff away after dd's first a second birthdays. Alot was too old for her. I've still got a whole heap of stuff put away from her first birthday that I pull out here and there.

There was no reason for her to have over 100 gifts to play with straight away on her 1st birthday!! We did get a couple of double ups as well, do I took them back and exchanged them for other things.

I do have a trike here from dd's 1st birthday that we are going to put under the wishing tree this year, it's been sitting in the spare room for over a year and a half, and she already has a trike + spare ride on for friends.

I don't see a problem with spreading them out, or even re-gifting/giving to charity.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Your child's gifts from others at b'day/christmas time....

When ds was little my sister used to send him random presents all the time like books etc so I would put these away and bring out at when he was sick of his old ones, but I have never taken gifts given to him for bday or xmas away. What I have done is taken gifts back to kmart, target or toys r us and he has been able to choose a new gift so effectively the person wwho brought him the gift is still buying him some thing

Sent from my GT-I9300T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaliyahsmummy View Post
    I don't see a problem with spreading them out, or even re-gifting/giving to charity.
    I don't see a problem with spreading them out either, in fact I think it's a good idea. But saving them for the next xmas then giving them to their kids and making out they are from them is a bit rude imo

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I don't see a problem with spreading them out either, in fact I think it's a good idea. But saving them for the next xmas then giving them to their kids and making out they are from them is a bit rude imo
    Yeah, can't say I would do that....for me, the fun of Christmas and Birthdays is working out and buying things that the people I care for will enjoy or love.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: Your child's gifts from others at b'day/christmas time....

What if theyre all from Santa? All my nieces and nephews get their presents from Santa, no matter who they come from. I think if the parents tell the original gift givers what theyre doing, it shouldnt be an issue.

Sent from my HUAWEI-U8850 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Your child's gifts from others at b'day/christmas time....

I have this problem because the inlaws always want to buy DD sooo much junk! I still keep it I would never give it away but each birthday/Xmas I tell them please only get *this* or *this*

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Jeepers... I think it's a bit rude really especially to reqrap them and give them as gifts.

Kids unwrap what they are given and use them unless we feel they aren't old enough for something they have been given, in that case we will put it away until he is old enough to have it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think that's a bit silly. My daughter always has toys that she has been given available to her to play with. I do cull toys later with the toys she doesn't play with. I don't keep them and then pretend they're from me for Christmas. That's weird.

I think it's okay to put the gifts away and rotate them or if they are too old to the child give it to them later and tell them where it came from. I think it's rude to wrap them up and give them to them for Christmas or birthday or whatever pretending they are from you.

I also don't like the money thing. I think if they get a gift they either don't like or already have then take it back to the store and exchange it for something else. I think if you have too many toys as is then I'd request something that is used once and that's it such as: bubbles, paint, craft activities.
    Last edited by Renesme; 12-11-2012 at 15:12.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Your child's gifts from others at b'day/christmas time....

I'm dreading Christmas gifts for my son. Don't want toys that sound like pokie machines and doesn't let them use their own imaginations. Gah. They won't listen though when I ask them to get books instead. Not sure what I'll do with the ones I don't allow.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We usually have a toy cull towards the end of each year - helps me see what they do and don't need as far as Christmas is concerned and helps clear some space too. I could never give a present back to my kids as if it was from me or santa - that is really rude!

But I have put presents to one side, and brought them out at a later date, particularly in winter if its a cold wet day and we are stuck inside it is handy to have a new activity tucked away. I always note who the item is from and make the kids know where it came from - very handy to be able to say lets get that game of snakes and ladders out that Auntie Linda gave you or "lets looks at grandma's paint set you got for your birthday etc" Then they can tell the person, or I can take a picture of them playing with it and let them know it is being used. As they get older this isn't so easy as they know and remember what they have been given but when they are little it works well.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to SpottySocks For This Useful Post:

Renesme  (12-11-2012)