+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Your child's gifts from others at b'day/christmas time....

So the conversation at playgroup this morning was on brithday/christmas presents their kid's are given for christmas and birthdays and what people do with them all.

Some of the mum's admitted to unwrapping all the presents on the occasion with the child but putting half of them away for the child's next birthday/christmas as there was just too much. The child was about 3yrs old? ...ummm do a toy cull before the occasion then??!!
    One mum even said "ive thought about re-wrapping for gifts for others...." i just thought this was awful.

Another had twins and said she got DOUBLE the presents for their birthday, so split it all in half and has put them away for christmas presents this year. Ummm my SIL has twins and i'd be a bit saddened, almost as if my efforts were a waste or presents not good enough if i knew the presents i got her kids were put away because they got too much stuff not to mention, isnt that being a bit of a tight ****?...because SHE wont have to buy as much?

I just dont know if any of this sounds right? But maybe it's the norm now?
    What do you do if your children end up with an excess of toys/gifts for their birthday/christmas?

Thanks
    Reviews
    lol That sounds weird .... I give my kids what they get from other people. Like you said, toy cull before each Xmas. I pack toys away anyway so they only play with a certain amount of toys each week to save on clutter in the room. It gets changed over though. My kids hardly play with toys any more though, they wuld rather play fight haha

OJandMe is offline I am the strength my children will have.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Well..... they are gifts for my child/ren.. I've actually never 'collected' gifts for them, they are given to my kids by the people who are giving them, and opened with them present.

Even packages, I don't even open them, they are addressed to my child/ren- so it's their right to open them.

I have had to veto MIL on her promised Christmas gift for Oliver and Jordan though... she wanted to get them DS's and has been telling them she's getting them DS's... But DH and I don't want them having DS's- so we said "no" to that idea, they are getting tablets and a CD player for their room instead.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I can understand some kids just have sh*t loads of stuff. But I think it's a bit sneaky, and rude, to re wrap them and give them as xmas presents for their kids Maybe a cull is in order. Allow the child to pick stuff they no longer play with before xmas or bday, and take them to a charity or a women's refuge. Not only are you not supporting materialism, you are teaching the child to give to the needy. Then there's the issue of using others presents for xmas so they don't have to buy. That really has me It's up there with selling baby clothes on ebay that people have given you out of generosity...
    Last edited by delirium; 12-11-2012 at 13:28.

Thanks
    Reviews

I personally ask people not to bring gifts for this reason. I have 2 girls the oldest only being 2.5yrs but our house has enough toys inside and out for a few more YEARS to come. And toys that were given at an earlier age are now picked up and played with differently. Of course I still buy them stuff, mostly big tickets items like trampoline etc but haven't bought toys for awhile.
    Of course mum doesn't like getting ' nothing' for their bdays but I just say save it and maybe buy me a box of nappies or something.. Something we need/will use more than just a toy. Which now just seems like just another toy.
    So I can see how others would see to wait til later with toys and I don't think there is much wrong with it. What about 6 months after the bday and the child is 'tired' of playing with their toys. Go to the cupboard and Ta da we have something new!!! Re-gifting I'm not sure i would do, but def. giving it to the child at another time.

Thanks
    Reviews

Lol... I have a very small family, and somehow all but 2 of my friends are not the gift swapping type, so my kids pretty much only get a handful of presents a year, and DS birthday is 2 weeks before Christmas. I can't imagine getting so many toys you didn't know what to do with them!!

Having said that, when my first bub turned one he did get quite a stash, and we opened all the present on his birthday, at his party, but I put them all in the cupboard and brought out a new toy a week for about 2 months. At that age, getting 1 present is as exciting as getting 8.

We got 2 of a few things, one of which I took back to k-mart who exchanged it in good faith, but the other things couldn't be changed, so I did regift those, but I didn't feel guilty about that. I'd be happy for someone to do that.

I do think it's common now, though. I've definitely heard of it, but I haven't heard of people putting them away and then giving them to their kids as though *they* personally bought then for the kids.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Your child's gifts from others at b'day/christmas time....

I would love if we could do a Kris Kringle so the kids and their cousins could get one decent present on each side of the family as they also get gifts from friends and godparents.

But...until that happens...they get lots of gifts and it's too much for them to play with at once so we let them unwrap them all then we put away a lot of them and bring them out throughout the next few months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    so...if you do put toys away...and our child is bored with the toys they have....you simply go to the cupboard to get a new toy?...because they are bored with what they have? So toys randomly appear from the cupboard like magic? Not because it's their birthday or from santa,or for a reward for whatever reason you choose...??
    Toys cost money and are a privledge,.... they dont just appear in my cupboards to give to my kids when they are bored???

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

They could also start being honest with friends and family and say their children really don't need anything. Family and friends can then decide to maybe give money for savings accounts or gift vouchers for big purchases.

Thanks
    Reviews

No but most toys only are shiny and new and played with for a certain amount of time hence the reason so many people just said they 'cull' toys and give them away. Why have an abundance of new toys to play with at once which may loose their appeal quickly or all at once when a couple at a time suffice. Just like taking some toys they have now, putting them away and bring them out a couple of months later and kids look at them differently and play with them all over again

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Justus4 For This Useful Post:

Cat21  (12-11-2012)