+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: How old was your baby when you first feed them solids?

Corn is very hard to digest. You will know when your baby is ready as a pp said.

Sent from my LG-P500 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We started at just after 4 months on advice from dd's pead. Next baby will be waiting until closer to 6 months, unless advised by a pead to start early.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default How old was your baby when you first feed them solids?

5.5 months, he was sitting up and was showing signs. 15 weeks is far too early IMO

Thanks
    Reviews
    6 months for us. 15 weeks is too early IMO. Why the rush?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by vulgardisplayofpower View Post
    I'm thinking of giving my 15 week old some pumpkin today. Is this too early?
    Just a small spoonful to see how she goes?

When you first give your baby real food does it usually change their bowel habits? Should I expect a tummy upset as she adjusts?

Thanks.
    DD was 5mths old when i started her on baby cereal mixed with a bit of formula milk. I gave her 1-2tbls once a day after her morning bottle. So if it didnt agree with her, it could get out of her system before night time and we'd not get added sleep disturbances. I only started solids simply because i was so excited and eager to get to the solids stage. I went onto pureed apples added to the baby cereal. Always used the baby cereal as a base to mix stuff with. Then slowly got rid of baby cereal.
    Nothing really upset her bowels from what i remember but she did begin drinking less from her bottles...and that could be a problem at 15weeks old!!!
    With baby #2 im waiting untill after 6mths as i want to exclusively breastfeed for at least 6mths (or longer if i can!) and i know that introducing solids will interupt my milk supply. As fun and exciting as it seems to begin solids, breast milk/formula is best for their rapidly developing bodies when they are still so young. I'd personally be waiting a couple mths or more.
    Last edited by Little Miss Muffet; 12-11-2012 at 13:37.

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I'm thinking of giving my 15 week old some pumpkin today. Is this too early?
    Just a small spoonful to see how she goes?
    Is there a reason you want to "see how she goes"?

I think at 15 weeks her gut won't be ready and really there is no rush. She'll let you know when she's ready and if she's not showing the signs now (and it's unlikely at 15 weeks) well she's letting you know she's not ready iykwim. Follow her lead babies usually know what they need and when they need it.....and believe me, there's no rush to move on to changing a solids eating bubs nappy

Thanks
    Reviews
    A couple of reasons why I was considering introducing some food- she likes to watch us eat and when I was eating a banana recently I let her taste it to see her reaction and she loved it, she opened her mouth wide and pulled it into her mouth, she happily sucked on it and licked it, no sign of spitting it out either. I reckon she would have happily eaten a bit if I'd allowed her, but I only let her have a taste (no actual consumption).
    Plus, I guess I am eager and excited to start a new stage with her. I know there's no rush, though.
    Having said that I will wait a while longer though, she sn't sitting yet.
    I have done research and it differs, some start early others wait.. just wanted to get some opinions on here

I didn't know about the corn either, again it was on a Heinz baby food jar for a 4 month old (pumpkin and sweetcorn) so I figured I'd make my own for her.
    Good to know!
    Thanks.
    Last edited by vulgardisplayofpower; 12-11-2012 at 14:03.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to vulgardisplayofpower For This Useful Post:

FingersxCrossed  (05-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Not corn!!!!! especially in a baby under 6 months its very hard to digest!

As pp have said only baby food companies want you to start at 4 months - by starting too early you will wreak havoc on their digestive system which could possibly set them up for a variety of problems , there is absolutely no need to feed them earlier , wait until 6 months and see if your child is ready then give them everything and anything!

Babies being interested in looking/reaching for you food is a great development indication but not an indication of being ready for food - you could have put a snake in front of my son at 12 weeks and he would have tried to grab and eat it!

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    ...... she likes to watch us eat .....
    At 15 weeks she is probably attracted to the movement iykwim rather than being interested in the actual food

All the best

Thanks
    Reviews

Default How old was your baby when you first feed them solids?

With ds2 I started at 15 weeks with a couple of spoons of puréed pumpkin. I knew he was ready early. Did no harm. Doctor recommended it. Just use your instincts and maybe chat with your doctor. All baby's are different.