+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Do you take your own toys to the playground?

Yesterday I took DS to the local playground. It is a lovely one designed especially for the littlies and he loves to go. There was lots of other kiddies there too. An incident made me leave early and I just wanted to know if I was being silly?

DS spotted a football over near some people (not in the main grass area, right next to the slides) and he wondered over and went to pick it up. An older kid ran over and pulled it off him and slapped him on the head. His mother apologised and made the kid apologise to DS. His mum described him as very possesive of his toys and prone to violence. DS wasn't too fussed, but you could tell he was a little confused. As soon as I walked away with DS the ball was dropped and left.

A little while later we headed to the swings and the ball had been left next to them. I had to remove DS as again he wanted the ball to play with. I spotted the kids older brother and asked him to remove the ball. He kicked it as hard as he could to the other side of the park. DS saw and went to follow the ball. At that point I had to leave as I didn't want DS to kick off and didn't want him to get hurt again.

He is only 13 months old. It is very difficult for him to understand that he can't play with something at the park. I would not take toys to the park unless we were happy to share them, and if they were causing a problem I would of stuck them back into the car.

What do you think?

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Yep we take scooters, diggers for sand pits etc.

If they're not being used by the kids, others are welcome to play with them but if they're playing with them they don't have to share (although I will encourage it if there's enough to share).

A lot of the parks around here have bike tracks and sand pits or fields so bringing a ball/bucket/bike seem logical to me! Gives us more things to do and so kills more time.

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Similar thread was done not too long ago. We didnt take toys until DS was old enough to know that if he puts it down, someone might pick it up and play with it or even take it. DS has always been good with sharing though so it hasnt been an issue really.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    We do take toys/balls etc but basically as you said- don't take it to the park unless you are willing to share and or understand it may come home broken.
    This ^^ that kid who hit your son needs to be taught to share how sad that he was allowed to not share it! I would have made DD or DS give the ball back and let them have a turn

Thanks
    Reviews

I'd be mortified if my child hit another! Especially only a 13 month old! I'd be dragging them home after apologising profusely and confiscating the ball.

I don't take toys to the park, mostly incase they get lost. Once they get bikes I probably will.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yeah we sometimes take our own toys, but understand that if my kids stop playing with it, and it's left somewhere, it's free game. If that boy was incapable of sharing the toy should have been taken away from him. It's great that the mum apologised to you, but did the boy receive any discipline at all? If not, how does she ever expect him to learn to share??

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Do you take your own toys to the playground?

How old was the child that slapped him would you say?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    yep we take all sorts with us....my kids all let others play if they want to. it is normal to take a ball. the child who hit should be disciplined though if he was old enough to understand....

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Do you take your own toys to the playground?

Yes we do. But DS never wants to play with what we've brought so whatever it is goes in the general toy jumble on the paved area and all the kids pretty much pick out what they want. I probably wouldn't take toys to a park that wasn't 'ours'- for starters I'm not carrying stuff that far and also you don't know the local rules. Lol. Playgrounds are like gang territory.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone. I think the boy was around 2, so still young but old enough to know that hitting isn't ok. The more I think about it the more I wish I had asked the mum to remove the ball so it doesn't cause any more problems. I was too polite though.

Interested to know how people handle incidents like this where another kid has hit or hurt theirs? Is there any kind of unwritten etiquette for stuff like this???