+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Childcare q's

I'm 16 wks pregnant and I have heard numerous people say you need to put your baby on a waiting list etc.

I have driven past a few they look okay (in my area)! But was just wondering what questions do I ask? What do I look for.

I am seeking child care from about 6 months just for mornings while I attend Uni lectures as my MIL can't look after bubs then. How does it all work! IM SO CONFUSED!!!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Argh! I had a really good reply and then I lost it!

When I first looked at centres I asked questions like
    child to staff ratios
    the qualifications of each staff member (education and first aid)
    which education/early learning framework they followed
    food/menus if applicable
    routines in each room
    how much parental involvement they encourage/allow
    their sunsafe policy

I also dropped in unannounced at various times. This was a very effective way to rule out one centre immediately.

And vibe. I trust my instincts and they have never steered me wrong. If I place gave me a weird vibe then I moved right along.

Don't be afraid to ask lots of questions. Any good centre will be happy to answer them and appreciate your interest and concerns. Also try and speak to staff members in a chatty way. Miserable/*****y staff is never a good sign in my opinion.

But yes, most cities have very long waiting lists.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Childcare q's

Thank you!! That's a good list so far in the baby room at my Uni child care they say 1-4 is that good?!

Thanks
    Reviews
    There is a minimum ratio to meet requirements, I haven't used childcare for a couple of years now so have forgotten what it is. I think that sounds right but I'm sure theres someone here who knows a lot more about it that me

Thanks
    Reviews
    I mostly looked at the kids and if the seemed happy and content. Also as above talk to the carers, everyone at dd's childcare is chatty and friendly.

It's also good to know what they provide: my dd's childcare provide everything except bottles (unless you want normal cows milk) , but another I looked at I had to send my own nappies, snaks, lunches bottles. Not a deal breaker either way, but still good to ask

I also popped dd's name down at a couple, so I would have more choice when she arrived, I figured in that time staff could change and my first pick may not still be the best.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Re: Childcare q's

^^ yes, watch how the children interact with the staff. Adults know how to put on an act in front of parents, but you will see genuine affection from kids to carers in a good centre. The babies will come and sit on their knees, toddlers will toddle over with a book and climb in their lap, older kids will come and show them their artwork and chat incessantly. That will happen all the time in a place where the kids feel loved

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

7. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Missbean  (06-12-2012)