+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default How to mix feed?

Ds is two weeks old, and had ebm since leaving hospital with the odd formula bottle. I got mastitis last week and have had trouble keeping supply up since, its starting to get better with the lactation cookies and fenugreek but its still taking about 2 sessions to get one feed and hes feeding every 2 hrs. Last night he had formula all night 4 bottles and then today has had 2 bm feeds but he seems more unsettled and upset in tummy, the bm goes straight through him and hes very windy. Im wondering if i should do it like one formula bottle to one bm bottle or what?

Id like him to be completly bm fed but i just cant seem to keep up with only two hrs between feeds i can barely keep ahead. Any tips please!! Im so close to giving up!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How to mix feed?

Hi, DD was the same, she fed constantly but hardly ever got much out and it was so exhausting, trying to express in between was doing my head in!!!

So lots of going your way

I bf fully for 13 weeks in the end but then gave up as it was a daily struggle and started to get me down, PND had reared its ugly head from my stress and emotional hurt from bf not succeeding ( not so much because I was against ff, but it was 'failure' in my eyes as I didn't succeed in something I tried so hard to do)

In the end moving to ff was the best decision I made and I had no regrets once I stopped bf. Just a sense of relief I didn't have to struggle and I could finally get my body back and DH could finally do some feeds and bond with DD.

I suggest persevering with bf if it's really what you want to do but please don't fear full formula feeding if you decide to stop bf.

I personally suggest stopping if it does start to really emotionally and physically wear you out. Bubs needs a happy, healthy mummy, and if you start to feel that can only happen with ff, then maybe that's what's best for you and your bub.

Great work so far with the fenugreek and lactation cookies and expressing, you sound like you're giving bf a red hot go.

Good luck

Last edited by CuddlesAwait; 12-11-2012 at 09:57.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CuddlesAwait For This Useful Post:

PuppyGuts  (12-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    motillium from your gp can help boost your supply but just doing what you are doing (constantly pumping) is nature's way of doing it.

if you do want to add in formula my lactation consultant told me this for both my bubs who were comp fed;

1) breast feed baby
    2) top up with formula
    3) pump once baby is settled.

it is a mission though - especially once you finish pumping you feel like you have to go back and start all over again!

congratulations
    you are doing a fab job

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi OP, I would firstly call the ABA for advice on your questions, or google kellymom.com which has great info on breast feeding.

Are you feeding directly from the breast and pumping? For many women pumping is much less effective than direct feeding so you may have more milk than you think. I would agree with pp to breast feed first and then top up with formula or ebm if you can. If you can't feed directly get as much skin on skin contact as possible and there is also way to feed bubs through a tube which is attached to your boob, so you are getting the stimulation of feeding which would help supply. Sorry I can't remember what it is called. I'm sure someone else would know.

Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: How to mix feed?

Thanks all. Bub doesnt feed from breast, hes bottle only. I just feel like i will never have the supply to give him only bm.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Default How to mix feed?

Quote Originally Posted by PuppyGuts View Post
    Thanks all. Bub doesnt feed from breast, hes bottle only. I just feel like i will never have the supply to give him only bm.
    How is he sleeping and how is his weight going? If he's putting on weight and having wet nappies and going to sleep ok, I'm sure he's getting enough.

It's true that babies do get more out when feeding directly from the breast than you could ever get from expressing, so you could try that, but of there's a reason why you don't want to or can't, then keep expressing when you can and continue with the fenugreek etc

But if he is losing weight or really restless and not getting enough sleep, there are some great suggestions for mixed feeding above.