+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 117
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2,206
    Thanks
    135
    Thanked
    608
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

    Default Pet grammar bugbears

    Is there such a word as texted? The word annoys me and I always use text.
    "I texted you the details." Shouldn't you say, "I text you the details."

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to sweetpeamummy For This Useful Post:

    Laydeebugxxx  (12-11-2012)

  3. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    401
    Thanks
    20
    Thanked
    77
    Reviews
    0

    Default Pet grammar bugbears

    Ha ha. I am loving this list. Although I must admit, in writing this reply,I have triple checked spelling and grammar!

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lewbaby For This Useful Post:

    Catkin  (12-11-2012),DesperatelySeekingSleep  (12-11-2012)

  5. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    6,718
    Thanks
    3,789
    Thanked
    3,838
    Reviews
    17
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week

    Default Re: Pet grammar bugbears

    Quote Originally Posted by sweetpeamummy View Post
    Is there such a word as texted? The word annoys me and I always use text.
    "I texted you the details." Shouldn't you say, "I text you the details."
    Or its it technically SMS'ed/SMSed (there! happy now)? As in short message serviced. Or I just sent you an SMS or text message with the details.

    ETA but because you SENT a text message it is past tense therefore I guess it would be textED. Not text because text implies present tense.

    Sent from my magical black talky thingy using BubHub
    Last edited by DesperatelySeekingSleep; 12-11-2012 at 12:43.

  6. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,005
    Thanks
    291
    Thanked
    729
    Reviews
    6
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

    Default Pet grammar bugbears

    Quote Originally Posted by Lewbaby View Post
    Ha ha. I am loving this list. Although I must admit, in writing this reply,I have triple checked spelling and grammar!
    Uh oh!! No space between your comma and next word...LOL

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ruby_Tuesday15 For This Useful Post:

    Lewbaby  (12-11-2012)

  8. #25
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Central West
    Posts
    1,540
    Thanks
    1,829
    Thanked
    855
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

    Default Pet grammar bugbears

    These are great! My hubby loves to give me a hard time because I have a tendency to proofread our local paper (always FULL of spelling and grammatical errors) and he couldn't care less! My pet hate is the incorrect use of affect and effect such as "the accident effected him terribly". NO!! Or "the affects of long term smoking". NO again!!! I also hate the use of 'u' in children's writing. So so wrong!!!!

  9. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,765
    Thanks
    1,903
    Thanked
    2,790
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DesperatelySeekingSleep View Post
    Or its it technically SMS'ed? As in short message serviced. Or I just sent you an SMS or text message with the details.

    ETA but because you SENT a text message it is past tense therefore I guess it would be textED. Not text because text implies present tense.

    Sent from my magical black talky thingy using BubHub
    PLEASE edit and remove the incorrect apostrophe!!! An acronym is like a word in itself. You don't need to use apostrophes to replace the missing letters.

    Last edited by shelle65; 12-11-2012 at 12:39.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to shelle65 For This Useful Post:

    DesperatelySeekingSleep  (12-11-2012)

  11. #27
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,765
    Thanks
    1,903
    Thanked
    2,790
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DesperatelySeekingSleep View Post
    I have to agree with your friend here. its like saying 50s not 50's, while yes technically breaking the rules it is also considered acceptable breaking these rules for the use of acronyms.



    ETA to double check facts

    Sent from my magical black talky thingy using BubHub
    Who says it is acceptable to break the rules? 50's is wrong!

    This is from my style guide at work:

    Acronyms and other shortened forms

    (...)

    For plurals of acronyms, add 's' (e.g. SELs). Do not use an apostrophe unless it is possessive (e.g. an SEL's position description).
    Last edited by shelle65; 12-11-2012 at 12:40.

  12. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    6,718
    Thanks
    3,789
    Thanked
    3,838
    Reviews
    17
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week

    Default Re: Pet grammar bugbears

    Quote Originally Posted by DesperatelySeekingSleep View Post
    Or its it technically SMS'ed/SMSed (there! happy now)? As in short message serviced. Or I just sent you an SMS or text message with the details.

    ETA but because you SENT a text message it is past tense therefore I guess it would be textED. Not text because text implies present tense.

    Sent from my magical black talky thingy using BubHub
    Quote Originally Posted by shelle65 View Post
    PLEASE edit and remove the incorrect apostrophe!!! An acronym is like a word in itself. You don't need to use apostrophes to replace the missing letters.

    happy now? a variation for all

    PS no capitals or full stops

    Quote Originally Posted by shelle65 View Post
    Who says it is acceptable to break the rules? 50's is wrong!

    This is from my style guide at work:

    Acronyms and other shortened forms

    (...)

    For plurals of acronyms, add 's' (e.g. SELs). Do not use an apostrophe unless it is possessive (e.g. an SEL's position description).
    http://public.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/acronyms.html

    Sent from my magical black talky thingy using BubHub

  13. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,765
    Thanks
    1,903
    Thanked
    2,790
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thank you, that will have to do.

    Ah yes, the evolution of language - when everyone gets it wrong it becomes acceptable and therefore not wrong any more. I still hate it and think it's wrong though!

  14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shelle65 For This Useful Post:

    Catkin  (12-11-2012),DesperatelySeekingSleep  (12-11-2012)

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    over there....no over there:)
    Posts
    1,624
    Thanks
    921
    Thanked
    370
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

    Default Re: Pet grammar bugbears

    Your and you're. Enough said.

    Sent from my GT-S5570 using BubHub


 

Similar Threads

  1. Pet grammar bugbears
    By Catkin in forum General Chat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-11-2012, 09:24
  2. Grammar - should you correct someone?
    By Clementine Grace in forum General Chat
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 14-06-2012, 18:27

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Tambo Teddies
Visit our online store and select your individually handmade natural sheepskin teddy bear. Our soft and loveable bears come in a range of styles and colours. Created in Outback Queensland each bear is unique individual. 100% Australian made!
sales & new stuffsee all
True Fairies
True Fairies is the first interactive website where children can engage and speak with a real fairy through the unique webcam fairy portal. Each session is tailored to the child, and is filled with enchantment and magic.
Visit website to find out more!
featured supporter
Maternity Clothes
Looking to buy maternity clothes? :: Check the bubhub directory of local & online maternity clothes shops :: Find preloved maternity wear
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!