+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Clementine Grace View Post
    I think this is an interesting point.

I'm not a psychologist but for a man to be celibate his entire adult life is an unnatural state. I always wondered what it does to priests, emotionally to not be able to have physical contact with other people or a partner. Abusing children is wrong, bottom line and i'd never, ever suggest and excuse for it. I just wonder if some priests have psychological problems stemming from the fact that they live a life ( that they have chosen) where they are not able to act on any of their natural desires.
    Hmmm, I just don't buy that sexual abuse of children could in any way be a result of sexual 'starvation' as such. I'm not sure but haven't heard of any kind of inquest into the rape of nuns or other adults within the church...

I believe it takes a certain type of sick individual to sexually deprave children.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackEyedPea View Post
    Hmmm, I just don't buy that sexual abuse of children could in any way be a result of sexual 'starvation' as such. I'm not sure but haven't heard of any kind of inquest into the rape of nuns or other adults within the church...

I believe it takes a certain type of sick individual to sexually deprave children.
    I don't think anyone could reasonably suggest that celibacy would make someone a child rapist. I do think that it's not normal or natural to have a life of celibacy though. To spend an entire life and not know or experience physical passion, tenderness, intimacy, desire etc - it just doesn't seem right or (dare I say) natural.

There are a number of popes in the past who had mistresses, some even fathering children with them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackEyedPea View Post

I agree with the pp who have suggested that there might be an attraction to being a member of a church by people who have an unnatural interest in children, similarly to how they are attracted to other professions having close contact with children. The secrecy of the Catholic Church, the lack of women in the clergy, the long standing issues it has with hiding abuse - these are all problems which continue and while they continue the church will attract these disgusting individuals.

Personally, I believe asking people to be celibate their entire lives (assuming they actually are celebrate as so many clearly aren't) is a very difficult thing, but I don't think it leads to pedophilia. Alcoholism maybe, but that's a whole other opinion

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Rutabaga  (13-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default It's time for the church to stop helping these criminals

Most popes used to be married with children , I think it was only in the 15-16th century when they were made to become celibate as there was too many arguments over inheritances

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I very much agree with Caz.

The position of priest puts them in contact with children and in a position of trust, importance and power - it makes sense that this would attract a disproportionate number of pedophiles.

I don't think anyone is saying that a life of celibacy turns someone into a pedophile - pedophilia is a specific sexual perversion. It's well documented that pedophiles will have a sexual relationship with a woman while they "groom" the child in the home, etc.

The Catholic Church - and all religious & secular organisations that work closely with children - have a responsibility to have processes in place to identify these individuals before they are elevated to positions of trust, and then take decisive, legal action if there is any suspicion of abuse.

The whole situation is so revolting, and so sad.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to grumpybump For This Useful Post:

Rutabaga  (13-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Most popes used to be married with children , I think it was only in the 15-16th century when they were made to become celibate as there was too many arguments over inheritances
    Yep that's true, Cardinal Wolsey who was Henry VIII's chief advisor for a while, had a wife and 2 kids.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (12-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    They are creating a rod for their own back by not allowing priests to marry.
    People who abuse children are pedophiles and would abuse children whether they were allowed to marry or not. Sorry to burst your bubble but there are plenty of married men/women out there who abuse children. If it was just a sex issue they would surely just go to a hooker or have sex and try and cover it up? I doubt they'd have sex with children. Priests/people who have sex with children are pedophiles and attracted to them or for power or whatever.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Wow. I can't believe people are so sensitive over a 'making a rod for their own back' comment.

What I meant:
    - forcing a man to live a sexless life is NOT natural. It creates stress on the individual. Depending on the underlying bio/chem/environmental factors that person *may* be tipped over the edge and become an abuser.
    - by having a rule excluding men who want sex the Catholic church is significantly reducing the pool of otherwise suitable applicants. Instead of having a 9/10 applicant, they *may* get a 4/10. The risk of recruiting those with social problems and a predisposition to commit sexual abuse is high.

I am not saying the abuse is justified.
    I am not saying kids deserve abuse.

I am saying the Catholic church is setting themselves up for failure with their draconian rules.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Dupe

Thanks
    Reviews
    A Royal Commission has just been called by the PM on child sex abuse in the church. About time.