+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Camping with newborn

Would you do it? Is it totally complicated and not worth it? My DD is 7 weeks old. Reasons why/why not? Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews

I know of a lady who went camping with a 3week old.
    We got invited to go camping in a few weeks, my LO will be 4months and unsure how we would do it with a bub.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

When DH and I were somewhat hippies lol we camped near a couple who had their newborn son with them. He slept most of the time, the mum would disappear to feed him. They still sat by the fire and did little walks (baby in a carrier) and seriously if I hadn't spoken to them and they mentioned I wouldn't have known he was there. They were having a great time and when they left the ground they were headed up north.

I would do it now that ds is a bit older, he's 4 months, but before that no purely for comfort reasons. Too tired. But now it'd be fun.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Subbing as we want to do this at Xmas when DS will be 6 months

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Nothing wrong with camping with an infant. It's not like they roll around etc at that age, all they do is pretty much eat and sleep and have cuddles. why not!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption

Default Re: Camping with newborn

I would. Its probably easier than when they can walk!

Just make sure you set up everything while you have light and have a good hands free torch.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using BubHub

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    It would depend on a few things such as location (caravan park or some where remote without facilities), is bf established yet or if ff'ing, do I have facilities to clean and fix bottles, is the baby easy to please or more challenging? Most importantly, how confident I am with the newborn? If my confidence was high and bf was established then I wouldn't have an issue.

Thanks
    Reviews

I'm fine with her, she loves her sling and BF needs ZERO encouragement now lol she's a booby monster. Hmm good comment previously about nighttime and darkness! I guess the hardest part would be night nappy changes. I think for first trips I might insist on powered camp sites and then advance from there!

Any tips from those who have done it? I read a really good one that once bub is of an age that they are moving about to purchase some of that orange meshy fence stuff that you put up around lawns etc and peg that up around poles at the campsite like a big play pen so bubs doesn't wander off. I thought that was a great tip.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    i took my DD at 3 months camping with us for a weekend staying on an unpowered site in a caravan park, it actually wasnt too bad especially as its light quite late now we use cloth nappies so i packed a bucket for dirty nappies and a mat for her to lay on when we werent holding her we also had a baby sleeping bag thing that worked really well and i added a blanket over the top to keep her warm between a baby carrier her play mat and my boobs it was actually a really pleasant weekend id recommend having access to power or a good torch for night changes as needed and cellophane over the light can help to keep the light dim so you dont fully wake baby up good luck we had a blast so i hope you do too

Thanks
    Reviews

We will be camping when DS is 5 months,I see nothing wrong with it. Just be cautious of extreme heat, maybe try and put up the tent in shade, invest in a mozzie net and mozzie coils at night. Be mindful of other campers, they are on holiday too and don't want to be woken every couple of hours by a baby. Also as pp said if you are bottle feeding how will you sterilise bottles and is there clean water available.