+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Husband sides with ex

Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    Is he at your house every weekend or every second weekend?

i ask this because I have always been pretty ignorant of nits....UNTIL NOW!!

My DS had his first cases of nits. I discovered them at the crack of dawn one morning and raced straight off to the shops for treatment. Pretty sure this was a Friday. I used the special conditioner, the comb, hell at one point even shaved his bloody head (a fairly long number, but still shaved after him having it longer his entire life), picked out the nits like a freaking monkey, used the preventative spray.

sure enough, seven days later they were back. Treated again. Seven days later...again!

Anyway, they do seem to have a cycle so it is plausible that if he is at your house every 7 or 14 days it could be the cycle starting again and she may not even be able to see them before you guys pick them up.

these things will be the death of me....now I know why parents complain of them!
    They do have a life cycle, like fleas.
    I would switch up the treatments, never use the same one as they can get use to it.
    It also doesn't help when other kids at school do not get treated and you are doing the treatments for nothing really so make sure to tell his teacher/school so they can let the parents know there has been an put break of head lice and for parents to look out for them on their children etc.

We deal with nits all the time at work.
    Everything from capes, combs, clips, scissors, clippers, towels needs to be sterilized for health and safety.
    2 hours in hot initially boiling water with a disinfectant.
    Head lice can't live off the scalp for a very long time, but still follow this as the larvae can live longer than the adults and if you have just treated some adults can re-attach and start the cycle again.

It's a PITA.

Thanks
    Reviews

Also correct me if I'm wrong but is your issue that DH has basically gone running as soon as ex wife has called whingeing with treatment & all???

If it was me & DH was that concerned I'd tell him to bring SS home to me for me to do it. I say this as BM way to clear SD of nits was to SHAVE her head

mystical mumma is offline * ʇı ǝןoʇs sǝıɹıɐɟ ǝɥʇ ˙˙˙puıɯ ʎɯ ʇsoן ʇuǝʌɐɥ ı *
    Thanks
    Reviews
    We have dss on a week on week off basis.
    It isn't the life cycle. When we get him there is no way she can deny seeing them as they are huge.

Sorry sassy I don't see it that way as I feel if be stood up for his son to the bm it would be better for the kid in the long run allowing her to continue being slack and not doing anything is not beneficial for anyone involved.

Standing up to the bm will hopefully mean that dss gets better care in her home.

I do see your point and how that sounds right from an outsiders view but I guess it's different when u deal with this crap for years it wears u down

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rachell View Post
    They do have a life cycle, like fleas.
    I would switch up the treatments, never use the same one as they can get use to it.
    It also doesn't help when other kids at school do not get treated and you are doing the treatments for nothing really so make sure to tell his teacher/school so they can let the parents know there has been an put break of head lice and for parents to look out for them on their children etc.

We deal with nits all the time at work.
    Everything from capes, combs, clips, scissors, clippers, towels needs to be sterilized for health and safety.
    2 hours in hot initially boiling water with a disinfectant.
    Head lice can't live off the scalp for a very long time, but still follow this as the larvae can live longer than the adults and if you have just treated some adults can re-attach and start the cycle again.

It's a PITA.
    Oh god yes, major PITA! I am new to the world of nits and we have only just stopped the cycle and boy, I never want them again!

i went overboard with the washing, even did my bed despite the fact I am lice free...the towels, the carseat! Argh!

Unfortunately I informed the school but didn't receive any notification so I'm not even sure whether other parents are aware??! Totally plausible that he could be picking it up again from his little friends.

I want to get that frigging vacuum attachment for nits just in case he gets them again... I am traumatised!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Rachell: that's pretty much what I do- I wash everything in tea tree oil- we have a preventive sprays I alternate between.

I do everything from his hats and linen to the couch coushins and I even spray where his head sits on the seats in my car.

Our Brady bunch : yes that is a big part of the problem.
    The amount of times (years ago) we have been down to our last $20 and DH has spent it on treatment when he is on hi way home from picking up dss is shocking. I even had to get my dad to pay via credit card over the phone once as DH had used the last of the money in my account on a treatment and I didn't know and was stranded at a servo.

Again I'd happily do the treatments if she doesn't have time but she needs to provide the stuff. She can't just send him here riddled but then bark orders when we send him back the same way. (unknowingly)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by mystical mumma View Post
    Rachell: that's pretty much what I do- I wash everything in tea tree oil- we have a preventive sprays I alternate between.

I do everything from his hats and linen to the couch coushins and I even spray where his head sits on the seats in my car.

Our Brady bunch : yes that is a big part of the problem.
    The amount of times (years ago) we have been down to our last $20 and DH has spent it on treatment when he is on hi way home from picking up dss is shocking. I even had to get my dad to pay via credit card over the phone once as DH had used the last of the money in my account on a treatment and I didn't know and was stranded at a servo.

Again I'd happily do the treatments if she doesn't have time but she needs to provide the stuff. She can't just send him here riddled but then bark orders when we send him back the same way. (unknowingly)
    I literally could of written your original post!! I had this problem with my dss's mum at the beginning of the year. It got so bad each time he came back he had nits all over again because she couldn't be bothered treating her other kids or herself.

I was so fed up with nits invading my house and my dd catching them from him every time he came over I eventually did up a 'care package' for him for the week he wasn't with us. I bought shampoo and conditioner exclusively for his use and popped a few mls of neem oil in each bottle and advised him to wash his hair every second day. Nits HATE neem oil and its the only thing that would keep them out of his hair. I felt it was undermining his mum but there was nothing else I could do - I didn't care - I just didn't want him suffering anymore.

It's such a crappy situation to be in, I know first hand, but i have slowly learnt there are other things you can do to get the point across to BM that isn't directly being rude to her face (even though you want to so bad). Sometimes you just want to throw your hands up in the air and scream at the top of your lungs because its not always fair but it just makes you think smarter for the next time she wants to take her anger out on someone!

Thanks
    Reviews

And I would highly recommend neem oil instead of the chemicals if you are on a budget!!! It's around $10 from a health food store and comes with the oil and a shampoo bar. It doesn't seem like a lot but it goes very very far!! I just pop it on the child make sure the hair is covered and cling wrap their little heads and it recommends 20 minutes of the oil being on there but because its natural I make them keep them on for as long as they want to whilst watching a movie or colouring in etc. it's magical!! It's so much cheaper and so much more effective! The cost of nit treatments in a killer!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mummajugs28 View Post
    And I would highly recommend neem oil instead of the chemicals if you are on a budget!!! It's around $10 from a health food store and comes with the oil and a shampoo bar. It doesn't seem like a lot but it goes very very far!! I just pop it on the child make sure the hair is covered and cling wrap their little heads and it recommends 20 minutes of the oil being on there but because its natural I make them keep them on for as long as they want to whilst watching a movie or colouring in etc. it's magical!! It's so much cheaper and so much more effective! The cost of nit treatments in a killer!!!
    Thanks for that- hadn't heard of neem oil. Thankfully the budget isn't as much of a concern as it was but it's always good to find a cheaper more natural option.

Unfortunately BM doesn't allow anything from our house to go to her house unless of course it's his brand name clothes that's she's more than happy to take and never return. But that's a whole different issue.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by mystical mumma View Post
    Thanks for that- hadn't heard of neem oil. Thankfully the budget isn't as much of a concern as it was but it's always good to find a cheaper more natural option.

Unfortunately BM doesn't allow anything from our house to go to her house unless of course it's his brand name clothes that's she's more than happy to take and never return. But that's a whole different issue.
    I swear we share the same BM lol

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by ourbradybunch View Post
    I swear we share the same BM lol
    Ditto!!!!!