Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Re: Need advice regarding rental - WWYD?

I would think it makes more sense to repair when you move out. If it happens again you'll have to repair it again.

How long is left on your lease? Could they be preparing to not renew your lease and trying to get it fixed before they send you a notice to vacate? Or preparing to sell?

Seems odd That it would be sudden.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Need advice regarding rental - WWYD?

Just about the mesh on the screen, you can buy pet mesh for the screens, like a heavy duty fly screen, once the door is repaired replacing the screen with this stuff might help protect it from any further damage. You can buy it from bunnings etc.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by BornToBe View Post
    Geeze I'd be pretty annoyed, as a landlord, that you are allowing your dog to do that to somebody else's home.
    If the damage was done when your dog was a puppy, why can't you fix it now and be done with it? If the damage is ongoing, then why don't you train your dog?
    It's not like we haven't tried this. But thanks for your constructive feedback?!

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by bezzy View Post
    Just about the mesh on the screen, you can buy pet mesh for the screens, like a heavy duty fly screen, once the door is repaired replacing the screen with this stuff might help protect it from any further damage. You can buy it from bunnings etc.
    Thanks for the tip. Will def be using stronger mesh this time around. We also considered paying for a security screen door to stop her being able to scratch at the glass.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Boobycino View Post
    I would think it makes more sense to repair when you move out. If it happens again you'll have to repair it again.

How long is left on your lease? Could they be preparing to not renew your lease and trying to get it fixed before they send you a notice to vacate? Or preparing to sell?

Seems odd That it would be sudden.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub
    We don't have a current lease. RE says they sent one out. We've never received it and let them know this. But they have not re-issued it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lemons View Post
    We don't have a current lease. RE says they sent one out. We've never received it and let them know this. But they have not re-issued it.
    I'd be more worried about this. How do you know if something's changed in the contract/when the lease runs out? And fix the damage, you'd expect the landlord real estate to fix problems in a timely manner, so you should too

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by wannawannabe View Post
    I'd be more worried about this. How do you know if something's changed in the contract/when the lease runs out? And fix the damage, you'd expect the landlord real estate to fix problems in a timely manner, so you should too
    Why would you be more worried?!

We just waited 8 weeks to have our oven fixed - timely manner? I think not.

If the damage were functional I'd totally agree but it's not, it's purely cosmetic.

Thanks
    Reviews

The reason they're asking you to food it now is basically to cover themselves.

I'm not saying you will, but there's a possibility as far as they're concerned that different damage could be done between now and when you leave, and between this current damage and the new damage your bond may not cover it, and the owner will be out of pocket.

Like I said, I'm not saying this is what you will so, but the real estate has to mitigate the owner's possible loss - and this is why they're asking you to do it within a time frame.

They are well within their right to do this. Its up to you to make sure your dog doesn't damage the property. I hope you can get it sorted. :thumbup:

I'm a property manager. This is what I do

Sent from my GT-I9305 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Are you sure they arent thinking of selling? Inspection, no lease, damage to be fixed now? Sounds like it to me, I would get a lease ASAP or you could be out if they say so, in 14 days.

Sent from my LG-P500 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

They have to give us 2 months notice to vacate. And issue an intention to sell form to us. I've spoken to the RTA and will be following their advice.

Thanks everyone.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to sweet_lemons For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (12-11-2012)