Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Need advice regarding rental - WWYD?

DH and I have been renting in the same home for almost 3 years. We have had no issues with our real estate up until now and have an impeccable rental record.

Just after we moved in, we applied to the RE to have a small dog. This was approved in writing. We have a copy of this letter.

Our dog has a bad habit of scratching at the back door and as such has torn some of the mesh screen on the back sliding door and scratched the back glass sliding door tithe point where we think the glass would need to be replaced. She has also scratched the wooden door into the garage and taken paint off the door.

Recently out RE send an email (out of the blue) demanding that these things be repaired in 30 days and reciepts for the repairs be presented at the office or we would recieve a breach. DH and I were a little angry about this as the letter we recieved and our lease do not specify time frames around when we need to repair damage done by our dog and we had always assumed we would repair the doors when we vacated the property. With a few emails back and forth the RE revealed that this was a direct request from the owner and that they would extend the timeframe to 60 days.

So my question is what rights do we as tenants have. If we were to professionally repair these doors our dog will scratch at them again. Are we able to speak directly to the owners? Do we offer a pet bond on top of our current bond? We really don't want to spend a couple of grand for professionals to fix these doors and have them damaged again.

What to do???

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014

Default Re: Need advice regarding rental - WWYD?

I think you would have to fix them but getting in touch with your local tenancy advocacy service would be your best bet. They can give you accurate advice.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

3. The Following User Says Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

LoveHeart  (11-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

I would give these guys a call http://www.rta.qld.gov.au/

That's really odd.. I would have just thought it would be fixed upon leaving the property..
    Unless the owners are planing on selling and what the house is great condition..
    I can't really offer advise on it sorry.
    Hopefully some one else can give you some more insight into these kind of problems
    Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

This is why when we allow dogs we always have the tenant sign extra clauses to attach to their lease

If its not in your lease it will be hard for them to hold you to it ( certain tines frames etc) if you went to tribunal BUT your dog has damaged the property and they will make you fix it and you may possibly **** off the landlord

It's hard and i know what dogs are like but really you can't just leave someone else's house damaged and knowingly allow your animal to continue to damage it , I have seen dogs damage doors, windows, garage doors, gardens, carpet etc and normally your bond won't cover it

This is the main reason landlords don't like dogs, and honestly please try and train your dog not to do these things as if you get a bad reference or your dog gets a bad reference it will be really hard for you to rent again

Thanks
    Reviews

As far as i know any damage done to a home by a renter must be fixed in a reasonable time frame, you can't just leave it til you move

Sent from my LG-E400f using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

My only concern is how did the landlord find these things, did the real estate inspect recently?

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby star View Post
    My only concern is how did the landlord find these things, did the real estate inspect recently?

The owners live in another state but came to an inspection about 6 months ago. They saw the damage then. And we spoke about us repairing when we moved out. And how happy we were in their home. And they said that they were happy they had stable and good tenants.

But the damage was done when our dog was a puppy. And the RE has been inspecting every 3 months for 3 years and knew that it was there too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The out of the blue email and the apparently coming from the owner directly bothers me the most - like Kirby asked, did they do an inspection? If not how do they know about the damage?

I'm not sure, we allowed a tenant to have dogs in a previous property we owned and we stated it had to be fixed before he left - the dog destroyed the garden but we agreed there was no point fixing while the dog was there but rather when he left and they did do a good job.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Geeze I'd be pretty annoyed, as a landlord, that you are allowing your dog to do that to somebody else's home.
    If the damage was done when your dog was a puppy, why can't you fix it now and be done with it? If the damage is ongoing, then why don't you train your dog?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BornToBe For This Useful Post:

IndigoJ  (12-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If it was done by your dog as a puppy, why not fix it now if they're not a puppy/destructive anymore
    i see it from two points

Tennant - pay to fix the damage that may happen again

Landlord - I am a landlord and have been out of pocket twice from bad tennants, bond didn't cover my loss of rent and cleaning/fixing. I would hate to have the additional cost of damage caused by a pet on top of that.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast