+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Holding baby in an upright position

Is it ok to hold a newborn (4 weeks old) in an upright position? I only do it when trying to burp her, and sometimes she would fall asleep on my shoulder and I would just let her.

I went out shopping today with my newborn and after a feed I begain to burp her on my shoulder. Then this old man kept on starring a me. At first I thought maybe hes just looking at the view or someone else and ignored him, but then he started talking to this girl next to him in extremely loud voice, saying that its so wrong to hold a baby upright when they are so young and how we not suppose to do it before the baby turns 6 months or at least 2 months old and he just went on and on about what sort of damage this could do to the baby and etc. I felt horrible! And now I am paranoid!

Thanks
    Reviews

Haha the old man had no idea!

As long as their neck is supported at that age it is fine. Tummy time and holding them up help build up their neck muscles which are essential.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to singlemumma82 For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (11-11-2012),tubster  (11-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

6 months! No way. My DD is 6 months and has been upright for months and she has hated being in newborn cradle hold since she got good head control at like three months. Stupid man!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MinnieMouse81 For This Useful Post:

tubster  (11-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by MinnieMouse81 View Post
    6 months! No way. My DD is 6 months and has been upright for months and she has hated being in newborn cradle hold since she got good head control at like three months. Stupid man!
    This!! My DS2 was exactly the same and hated being nursed in arms. He MUCH preferred being up over our shoulder where he could see all he action! Ignore the silly old git he hasn't got a clue ;-)

Thanks
    Reviews

I started off burping my bub with my hand supporting her under the chin, then went to burping her over my shoulder. Also she is on my or DH's chest upright a lot, and I think this has helped if anything as she is now 7 weeks and has really good head control I think. Lots of old people have very outdated ideas!
    Attached Images

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Hahaha old men.

They need to held upright sometimes to bring their wind up. Don't listen to crazy old men.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

halloweendee  (11-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    DD had good neck support from day dot (probably helps that she was 2 weeks overdue... so well and truly formed... lol), and always preferred being help upright.

As a little one, she prefered this way to sleep on me too... facing my chest, head resting on my shoulder facing my face, having a snooze. It's why we used a carrier that allowed this position too. I spent many days sitting on the couch during Dr Phil while she slept on me in this position.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Babies are held upright in carriers before 6 months, and what about reflux babies who are in pain when laying down?

That old man is a fool.

Thanks
    Reviews

Don't listen to grumpy old men!! My DS has reflux and has pretty much been upright from birth! He's 4 months and perfect, he is very strong and has great head control.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Silly old man. That's the silliest and funniest thing I've heard all day