+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default BYO meat and alcohol

If its just a get together and not something like an engagement party etc I think it's fine! In our group of friends it's always byo meat and drinks unless its a special occasion. And even then we all bring something, like nibblies etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Re: BYO meat and alcohol

As a few others have said I wouldnt go 'byo meat & drinks" but id do sausages bread salad and soft drinks provided - byo alcohol or any other meats you want.

But if it's the done thing in a circle I think that also works out too.

OR possibly "host" a bbq in a park or something? So it's more a meet up than hosting?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    i think it depends on the context.

if you are 'hosting' ie. throwing a party etc. i think you should supply meat. if people then want to bring something of their own to throw on as well, that's their choice.
    but if it is just a group of friends or family getting together, having a bbq at a park or something then it's fine.

and byo alcohol pretty is pretty standard anyway.

we live at least an hour away from everyone and since hubby is a chef, we always put on everything - meat, food, drinks etc.

have to say, we were once invited to a busy bee at a friend's house. he had been living there for a few years and decided to have a clean up. he invited everyone he knew and the day before also told everyone to bring their own alcohol, meat and soft drinks. he was supplying the bread!!!
    needless to say nobody went

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by halloweendee View Post

have to say, we were once invited to a busy bee at a friend's house. he had been living there for a few years and decided to have a clean up. he invited everyone he knew and the day before also told everyone to bring their own alcohol, meat and soft drinks. he was supplying the bread!!!
    needless to say nobody went
    bahahaha!

What a great offer.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (11-11-2012),halloweendee  (12-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014

We do it all the time in our group of friends and no one minds. In our big group there is only 1 other family with kids and half of our friends live with their parents still. So hosting falls to us and the other family with kids 99% of the time. We catch up about once a fortnight and everyone is happy to come to one of our houses but doesn't want the cost to always fall on us so we do byo meat and drinks and I always make a salad, potato bake and a dessert and provide sausages and kebabs and anything else is on everyone else to work out

Sent from my GT-I9305T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Generally in our culture, if you host a bbq,you supply everything... and vice versa when you go to a friends..

We don't get offended when asked to go to a BYO meat & alcohol, but at the same time, don't bother with these, i'd rather just cook it myself at home and we eat, what's the point of carting meat to someone elses house?! , then just turn up with drinks and a dessert to share.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Minchi View Post
    We don't get offended when asked to go to a BYO meat & alcohol, but at the same time, don't bother with these, i'd rather just cook it myself at home and we eat, what's the point of carting meat to someone elses house?! , then just turn up with drinks and a dessert to share.
    The point for us is to see our friends.

Culturally for me it was always host provides everything, even at an informal bbq, but where we live now and among our friends, every one brings stuff - the host always has snags for the kids and bread, salads etc... but you bring your own extras (and eat them!) plus a salad/dessert/nibbles and alcohol.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

peanutmonkey  (12-11-2012)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

In my circle of friends, if you are 'hosting' a bbq, all that's expected is that you provide a device on which to bbq meat. Most of the time there will be a couple of loaves of white bread, some sausages and tomato sauce. And some paper plates. Anything more supplied is a seriously fancy affair.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think if it is for an Occassion like a birthday etc you should provide the meat and "some" alcohol.. Id be offended otherwise..

If its just a random catch up with friends i say get them to bring their own meat and alcohol..

Thanks
    Reviews

If it was a party (like an engagement or something), then I'd buy all the food. We have BBQ's amongst our friendship group and always do BYO meat and drinks.

Meat is expensive!! I wouldn't ever feel offended,Tbh I think it's a bit rich to feel offended if someone is inviting you into their home and will clean up afterwards for anyone to be irritated about supplying their own family's meat. If they have asked to BYO meat and drinks I graciously accept the invite and get on with it.