+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    lol we used to regularly BBQ at a friends place who would always say BYO everything. DH likes steaks and the kids and I like chicken kebabs so we'd bring $20 worth of meat and a salad. The hosts would contribute a tray of sausages. It would be served on a big plate and the kids and I would be left with a kebab each and DH with one little bit of steak and the tray of sausages would lay untouched on the serving plate Used to annoy me. Ok it's BYO. But if you want steak and kebabs buy your own and stop eating all ours!
    EXACTLY!!! Its soo annoying. Who the hell thinks its ok to bring a normal thin steak and then load the plate up with chicken, kebabs and someones awesome slab of marinated steak??? Alot of people apparently.
    Last time I brought my own I watched it like a hawk but had to go to the toilet so ran off. Came back and everyone was serving up from the communal plate and I made a "alright, who is eating my marinated steak and kebabs?" announcement Lol Im like Joey on Friends... "LONDON DOESNT SHARE FOOD!"

Thanks
    Reviews

Default BYO meat and alcohol

We provide meat, bread and salad. I never provide alcohol though.

Thanks
    Reviews

I had a giggle. Most of the people I know have similar beliefs to me, so both meat and alcohol are not an issue. Feel free to bring your own bean salad :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by London View Post
    EXACTLY!!! Its soo annoying. Who the hell thinks its ok to bring a normal thin steak and then load the plate up with chicken, kebabs and someones awesome slab of marinated steak??? Alot of people apparently.
    Last time I brought my own I watched it like a hawk but had to go to the toilet so ran off. Came back and everyone was serving up from the communal plate and I made a "alright, who is eating my marinated steak and kebabs?" announcement Lol Im like Joey on Friends... "LONDON DOESNT SHARE FOOD!"
    I wish I had the balls to have said STOP EATING ALL OUR MEAT I learned though, the second the plate hit the table I would dig in and get most of the kebabs, divvy it between the kids and I and load up DH's plate with a big piece of nice steak. I didn't mind them having a couple of kebabs but far out. The polite thing to do is wait until we have taken what we wanted, then if there was meat of ours to spare, help themselves.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    We're not big drinkers, so there's no way we'd cater to family members or friends who are. They can bring their own if they want, but we're not providing it. That's never been a problem.

With meat, I've always provided sausages, but generally, anything else and they can BYO.

I think the BYO booze and meat for BBQs is quite standard...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    if you are going to host a bbq then do it properly and provide the basics - sausages, meat patties for burgers, bread, a couple basic salads. If ppl want to drink alcohol they can byo but also provide soft drinks. Id expect byo meat and alcohol at an 18yr olds shindig.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: BYO meat and alcohol

I wouldn't be offended but I think if you're hosting the bbq you should at least supply some meat.

Sent from my GT-S5570 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

We always tell people to BYO drinks and we will have sausages and rissoles but if they want something better BYO.

I have absolutely no problem being asked to BYO meat 😄 I don't think it's rude at all!

Thanks
    Reviews
    It depends for us who it is.... with our very close friends we take turns to cater everything for each other. If its at our place, we do it all. If its their place, they do it. Its not always a BBQ, sometimes its takeaway, a cooked meal or whatever. Im a bit fussy and dont eat red meat so I usually take something I can have anyway, but generally we do that. If we go out for a meal somewhere the boys usually take turns buying drinks and we just share a dessert or something. It doesnt really matter for us- if we are a drink out of sync or whatever, or we share a meal or I dont finish mine and one of them eat it, it doesnt matter. Its just like that with these friends... if that makes sense.

With other friends, I am happy to take meat/ beer because I figure its so bloody expensive I dont expect people to pay for that. But I dont like going to a BBQ and providing our own meat for everyone else to stock up on! So I just take enough for DP who eats steak, some chicken for me and snags for DD (and at $3 a tray for these I dont really care).

But bottom line, Im not offended to take it along. But if we are having a big BBQ we stay away from steak and do things like rissoles/ snags/ things like that. But its been such a long time since we've had a BBQ we dont really do it anymore anyway.

And no I will not supply alcohol for everyone.... DP will buy a case of beer and thats fine to share but im not doing more than that. And usually its returned when we go to their places. But forget spirits and wine and things like that. I dont drink so have no idea but know im not paying for people to get sloshed!
    Last edited by Hopefully Waiting; 11-11-2012 at 18:39.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

The group of friends that we usually have over for BBQ's have been our friends since our late teens when we were all either poor students or low-paid workers in our first jobs who had only just moved out of our parents homes, so whoever was hosting would do salads, bread, maybe a potato bake or something, snags, and it was then BYO meat if u want anything other than snags and also BYO alcohol. Now that we're older and more financially stable we still do basically the same thing except we'll often do some chicken skewers or marinated chicken or something too. Everyone is happy with that and it takes the financial pressure off whoever is hosting and means we can all have BBQ's more often! :-)