+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default healthy chicken and sweetcorn soup?

DD 9mo LOVED this the other night when we went out to tea, any healthy recipes that are without/low in salt? She's also fond of creamed corn if anyone knows how to make that too!
    TIA

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    I do one out of a Coles magazine

Cut up 3 or 4 spring onions, and fry them off in a bit of olive oil. Add in some creamed corn, drained corn kernals and water and bring to the boil. Then once boiling, reduce to simmer and add in two diced chicken breast. Cook for 3 more minutes or until chicken is cooked through.

Serve.

It's ready in less than 15 minutes and so so yummy!

If you're interested I'll get off my bum and find the quantities

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (11-11-2012),TnA  (11-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I used to make 'vegetarian' sweetcorn soup back when I was veg (and couldn't eat the chinese takeaway stuff). A can of creamed corn mixed with stock (preferable chicken flavour - yes you can get vegetarian chicken stock lol) and heated on the stove. I used powdered stock because I don't like a lot of salt and you can mix it up with more water to lower the salt. Once it's hot, drizzle in a lightly beaten egg while stirring the soup - makes those white 'ribbons'. Very easy pantry meal.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

TnA  (11-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It might not be everyone's cup of tea, but chickens feet make the best stock ... gets that gelatinous, sticky quality. Ask in asian or italian butchers.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Hulahoop For This Useful Post:

TnA  (11-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone! Is cook by feel and taste anyway so quantities aren't a huge problem for me thanks nomsie! Hulahoop, thanks but chicken feet are definitely not my thing but I wish I had a good Chinese grocer nearby lol! Stretched I had no idea you could get meat flavoured veggie stock that's great to know thanks! Is it readily available or only at specialty stores?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Just be careful of bought stocks with MSG, salt and additives - I make my own by poaching a whole organic chicken in water with various herbs and veggies, take the chicken out when cooked , take off the meat and put the carcass/bones back in and keep cooking! ( about 6 hours , but make a huge pot and freeze it)

Tinned creamed corn has additives and salt in it so I just boil corn from the cob and blitz 3/4 of it in a blender , add this to the saucepan with your stock ( after its been strained!) with a big handful of chopped shallots, the shredded chicken and the other 1/4 corn and I add 2 egg whites and some cooked spinach as a kicker for DS, DH adds some soy to his if he wants it saltier - sometimes I also add pasta to it
    Last edited by Elijahs Mum; 11-11-2012 at 20:29.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

TnA  (11-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: healthy chicken and sweetcorn soup?

Subbing for recipe

Sent from my LG-E400f using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The 'Massel' brand of powdered stock that I always get in the supermarket is all vegetable based. Also MSG free.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

TnA  (12-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Just be careful of bought stocks with MSG, salt and additives - I make my own by poaching a whole organic chicken in water with various herbs and veggies, take the chicken out when cooked , take off the meat and put the carcass/bones back in and keep cooking! ( about 6 hours , but make a huge pot and freeze it)

Tinned creamed corn has additives and salt in it so I just boil corn from the cob and blitz 3/4 of it in a blender , add this to the saucepan with your stock ( after its been strained!) with a big handful of chopped shallots, the shredded chicken and the other 1/4 corn and I add 2 egg whites and some cooked spinach as a kicker for DS, DH adds some soy to his if he wants it saltier - sometimes I also add pasta to it
    Mmmmm this sounds great! Going to give it a try.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stretched View Post
    The 'Massel' brand of powdered stock that I always get in the supermarket is all vegetable based. Also MSG free.
    Last time I checked Massel they had yeast extract ( MSG), trans fats and the colour caramel (what coke uses) but that was years ago!
    Can you check if they are still on the ingredients list?