+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Part-time mummies (in the workforce)

To those mums that work part time (around 2-3 days per week). Do you feel your a 'better' mum (comparing to YOURSELF) because you work part time?
    I don't mean better than non-part time or full timers, I mean comparing to yourself if you were home full time.

***This is NOT a debate thread comparing mums*** please read carefully.
    Last edited by 2BlueBirds; 11-11-2012 at 08:42.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

There are a few threads on this topic if you have a search. They tend to get a bit heated

I will be going back three days and I think that for ME and my family this will make me a better mum. Not only will I contribute financially but I will be as to spend good quality time with DS on non-work days. At the moment I find it quite hard (and boring) being home full time.

I think DS will have a great time in daycare as they will provide play and learning opportunities he wouldn't get at home (my home - not a general statement!).

Now I just have to hope and pray Ivan get a childcare spot.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not comparing working/non working mums so it shouldn't get heated.

I mean comparing yourself as a part time working mum or non working mum.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes.. for me I tink it's good. I work 3 days a week and spend 2 with just my kids and then 2 days with dh adkids.

Thanks
    Reviews

I'm not sure with me. I work 3 days but I find it hard being away from DS and find I am so tired after work that I find it hard to pay proper attention to him on the days that I work. My DP works 2 weeks on 1 off, so I am sole carer most of the time.
    I don't really like my job either, so maybe that factors into it?
    Just working so that DP and I can pay off our debt before number 2.

For me personally I think I was a better mum when I was home full time. But I think that is fluid also and something that will change over time..

Thanks
    Reviews
    nope...
    I went back to work 2-3 days/week when first was just over 1.

Obviously helped out financially etc.

but I worked from home office, so never really felt like I got away from the house etc.

To be honest, I just find it another hard thing to fit in around the daily life that happens when you have little people. Now I have number 2 i think to the future about logistics of working with 2 children and it is overwhelming.

Let's say i also do not cope well being tired and I think I struggled with working after being up at night so much too.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Part-time mummies (in the workforce)

Subbing because Im still figuring out what and when I'll work

Im a SAHM atm because my youngest is 4 months.. but Im considering staying home until he is 3 then only going back part time, max three days and no where too 'high responsibility'.. until they are all much older.

For my specific situation.. Ive found my boys really flourish when I am home and able to pick up from school at 2:15 rather than late.. can give more attention and focus on issues with more thought and time and I feel more relaxed doing so without the added pressure of work (Im just lucky enough also to have this as an option) I feel my kids really need me to focus on them a lot and having my small amount of multitasking skills its just better not at work.. (This is just me and my kids, also not a general statement!)

Even when my youngest is 3.. I think part time will be the option so I can still be mostly just there for the kids.. and for us with childcare/before after school care costs of 3 it will probably work out more beneficial financially this way anyway.. everybody wins

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Yep I work 2 full days and 2 nights and feel that I am a better mum when u have a bit of space from them. I miss them when I'm gone and appreciate them more when I'm home. Works for me :-)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jordansmumma For This Useful Post:

Kiplusthree  (11-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I work 3 x 9 hours days and I feel like my life is balanced.
    I love being able to contribute money towards family expenses. But also love my days off with DS and treasure them all the more.
    Also working means we have that little extra money to get out on the weekends and do things with DS we couldn't really afford to before.

Not that looking after kids full time is not important but I myself feel more important doing both

Eta: I think it also helps that I really love my job!
    Last edited by Mod-Zeddie; 11-11-2012 at 09:36.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Zeddie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews

I work 3 days a week and am a better mother to DS for it.

I ended up kind of getting in a rut when I was home full time, no motivation, bored etc. I now find myself a lot more attentive to DS on my days off, and we always do fun stuff together. The money means DH and I are not too stressed over stuff either.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to goldencrumble For This Useful Post: