+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 6 month old refusing afternoon nap but needs it!

I put my 6 month old baby girl on a fairly structured routine about 6 weeks ago and it's been great! But a week or so ago she started not wanting her 4:30 pm nap. She protests like there is no tomorrow! She gets so upset and I try all the resettling techniques I can think of but can't get any sleep out if her. She really needs it though because she finishes her second nap around 2:30pm and if she doesn't have the third 4:30 nap she gets really cranky at about 5:30/6:00pm but her bed time is not until 7pm. It's not much fun just trying to keep her happy until bedtime each night. She can't happily stay awake from 2:30-7:00. So should I not try for the third nap and make her bed time earlier? Or keep putting her down for the nap even though she doesn't want it? What are other 6 month old napping schedules like?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I'm no expert but I'd probably keep trying to put her down but if she doesn't settle within 10 mins then get her up and bring bedtime forward to 6/6.30pm....

3. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

Morgy  (11-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: 6 month old refusing afternoon nap but needs it!

I have found my babies dont need a late afternoon nap around 6months, I would try to go for a walk, give dinner, bath and bedtime at 6pm. It is normal for babies to be a bit grumpy and unsettled in the afternoon, I find getting outside really helpful. My 8m old wakes from nap at 2pm so by the time we have a play, walk, dinner, bath, boob (& all the other chores and dealing with other kid) she is in bed at around 5:30/6.

Sent from my LG-P500 using BubHub

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MummaOJ For This Useful Post:

Morgy  (11-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    I'm no expert but I'd probably keep trying to put her down but if she doesn't settle within 10 mins then get her up and bring bedtime forward to 6/6.30pm....
    This, and......

Quote Originally Posted by MummaOJ View Post
    I have found my babies dont need a late afternoon nap around 6months, I would try to go for a walk, give dinner, bath and bedtime at 6pm. It is normal for babies to be a bit grumpy and unsettled in the afternoon, I find getting outside really helpful. My 8m old wakes from nap at 2pm so by the time we have a play, walk, dinner, bath, boob (& all the other chores and dealing with other kid) she is in bed at around 5:30/6.

Sent from my LG-P500 using BubHub
    This

If bub refuses a sleep they would usually have, it means they are ready to drop it. My DD is also 8 months and wakes from her 2nd sleep at 2:00 or 2:30 but we wait till 7:00 for bedtime still.

Having her cranky for 1.5 hours while we do dinner, bath, pjs, bottle,bed routine is far easier than forcing sleep on a bub who refuses it.

You could also try keeping her up for 15 minutes longer between waking and the first nap, then the second nap, so there's half an hour less awake time before bed.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to CuddlesAwait For This Useful Post:

Morgy  (11-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Going with the majority :)

Thank you all so much for taking the time to reply. I'm happy to go with the majority here and drop the third nap, try and push the other two naps back slightly and bring her bed time forward a tad. Thank you! Thank you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Yes my DS dropped the 3rd nap about 6-7mths too.

I slowly pushed the 2nd nap out a little, so he went to bed at 1-2pm - he has kept this going and is 14mths. Soon we will be transitioning from 2 to 1 sleep and I'm not looking forward to that!

You can do it by changing the bed time by 5-10mins each day until he gets used to it. You don't have to change the nap by a whole hour at once.