+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Baby essentials help! First time

Hello all!

I am 5 months pregnant with my first and very daunted about what the essentials are to buy! There are just SO many things, but was hoping those who have done it all before could give me their top 5-10 items to buy?

I don't even know where to start, and looking online at all these baby warehouse sites is just making it worse!

Any help would be greatly appreciated xx

Thanks
    Reviews

A safety standard cot, mattress and car seat. A good pram is ideal if you've only one vehicle or tend to walk lots... But other than that - buy anything and everything second hand or let people know what you'd like and accept giveaways.

All the rest is superfluous.

Thanks
    Reviews

Ps. Congratulations!!!

Thanks
    Reviews

I bought everything for DS but this time around I've realised that babies really don't need that much besides a safe place to sleep, a car seat, clothes, boobs and lots of love. But a few other things that make it easier for me are:

Carrier and/or wraps
    Change table
    Boomerang pillow for breastfeeding
    Bouncer and/or swing
    Coconut oil (it solves everything from nappy rashes to cradle cap)

Thanks
    Reviews
    cot and pram.
    bassinet was handy as it was easier to have him next to me but buy one off ebay as you will only use it a few months.
    I got a new chest of draws with a change table on top off ebay - love it for his clothes and changing.
    Cloth nappies - you will use them for everything!
    people will give you lots of clothes but the button up at the front suits are the best. dont get over the head ones they are annoying especially if your little one has lots of poo explosions like mine.
    Baby bath was handy with a seat because it was awkward leaning over the big bath.
    You really dont need much to start and you will find out what you need in the end plus people give you tons of stuff when you have a baby we have ended up with about 50 bunny rugs and TBH I probably have stuck with about 3 because they were bigger.

All I can say is ebay is your friend!
    Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi OP,

My top things for a newborn would be:
    Pram
    Car seat (I had a travel system which was great)
    Somewhere to sleep - I had a bassinet next to my bed for the first few months and then into a cot in is own room)
    Clothes - simple onesie type stuff in 0000 and 000 appropriate for the weather
    Blankets and large muslin wraps (I love aden & anais) used for wrapping /sunshades/cover-ups when feeding/pop down on the floor for playtime
    Box of nappies and wipes
    If you are planning to breastfeed a few feeding tops, or bottles and formula if you are going to bottle feed.

I would not bother with buying nice outfits or toys as you will likely get given those as gifts.

A few things that I did use but not essentials:
    baby bath and hooded towels
    small muslin clothes to catch/wipe up the spew
    playmat and bouncer/rocker chair (simple ones are fine)

I would really try and keep it simple and to a minimum and then buy stuff as you need it once bubs is born.

Good Luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

A newborn just needs clothes, nappies, food and somewhere to sleep! Obviously a good quality car seat too.

I found good wraps are awesome - don't use those wraps that everyone gets in the gift packs, they're not big enough. Something the size of a cot sheet (or just use a cot sheet!) is perfect for a good swaddle that your bub won't be able to bust out of.

Spew rags (like those flat terry cloth nappies you can get at target/Kmart/big w), they're so versatile and easy to wash.

Test drive the prams and see what's most comfortable for you - consider things like weight if you'll be getting it in and out of the car a lot, width, ease of collapse/setting up, bub facing you/facing out/convertible, storage etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

1. Pram (get a light weight one that you can fit a capsule into.

2. Capsule

3. Car Seat - I recommend the Safe n sound AHR Maxi Rider (if you get a capsule as it is from 6 mi this and up) or the AHR Meridian which is suitable from birth (if you don't want a capsule)

4. Change Table. Ikea do nice looking and inexpensive ones. Look for one with shelves under it to store nappies etc.

5. Basinette (for bub to sleep in your room for the first few months) get one where the bed part comes off the frame so when you are ready to transition bub into their cot you can start putting it in the cot for day sleeps then night sleeps. It means bub isn't going into a brand new sleep space.

6. Cot - we got one that converts into a toddler bed, great for transitioning bub to a bed as it will make the transition easier

7. Swaddles. If you are like me and can't swaddle very well or bub is a little Houdini like my DD. Love to seaddle brand - Wrap me up lets bub keep their hands up by their heads, or a woombie zips up to the neck so bub can put their hands wherever they are comfortable.

8. Baby bath and baby seat. You can get a reclining seat which is great to put bubs in so you don't have to use just your hands and arms to keep bub afloat, it makes bathing bub not so scary. I'd not have been able to bath DD in my own without it!

9. If you are planning in breastfeeding, a breast pump and bottles and steriliser (I recommend the microwave ines if you have a microwave as its the quickest way to sterilise bottles) It is great for 2 reasons, 1 it helps with your supply and 2 you can get your partner to feed bub too so you can get some well needed sleep in those early months and helps dad bond with bubs.

10. Carrier. I'm not that into baby wearing but in times where bub is sick and can't sleep anywhere without you, it can be a godsend! Ergo's are meant to be the best.

11. Hooded towels - target ones are best as they are quite big. Don't bother with the rectangle ones as they just aren't the right shape or big enough.

12. Sleeping bag / gro bag. They are great to use as part of the bedtime / naptime routine to signal it's time to sleep.

13. Bouncer

14. Parenting book - I didn't read anything about becoming a mum and I had a rude shock about how difficult it can be to get a baby to sleep, etc. what to expect the first year is a great book, as is save our sleep by Tizzie Hall.

What NOT to get

Johnson and Johnson's Products - they are so harsh on bub's skin.

Blankets - thick wooly blankets are just to thick and hot, maybe one or two but don't go overboard. If you buy anything buy cotton or bamboo sheets which are breathable and can be layered

Too many wraps / swaddling cloth especially if you go with the Swaddles I mentioned above.

Mittens and gloves - don't bother, a beanie and socks is more than enough in winter.

Don't buy too many fabric bibs. When bubs starts solids go for plastic bubs as they are far more durable an easier to clean

Baby cotton buds - not necessary

Jolly Jumper

Bumbo

It can be very overwhelming and you'll probably find you will make many trips to baby stores or target/k-mart/ Big W and the chemist in the beginning but in a way that's good as you will then be buying things you know you will actually need.

Good luck and congratulations on your pregnancy!

Thanks
    Reviews

Cloth nappies! Oh my gosh...save my life! Baby has reflux so we wrap one around the bassinet mattress so when he spits up, you only have to change the cloth nappy.
    Bassinet...just to keep him close all the time and let's be honest don't want to stumble around in the dark for feeds.
    Bouncer and swing. Bought these off eBay. We have 2 floors so he sits in the bouncer or swing downstairs upstairs bassinet.
    SwaddleMe wraps. I found the summer ones best for summer and the official swaddleme thicker and better for winter. The wraps make swaddling so much faster.
    Basics...cot, changetable, pram(I went expensive on these items and got the grotime changeover, and a bugaboo. Figured they would get the most use so should be better quality.)
    There are some other things that you would buy, but you would only know once bubs is here. Like electric breast pump, safeTsleep, bottles, teats, etc...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Spew rags- I found $1 hand towels at ikea that were the perfect size.

Carrier (Ergo or similar) awesome long term investment.

As far as car seats go, consider how may children you might have and how far apart you may have them. With child restraint law, a child needs to be in a 5 point harness until they are about 4 and in a booster until they are about 7. If you think you may have kids close together, I'd suggest getting a slimline seat like a compaq. I have 3 little ones and have bought 5 different car seats because I didn't plan ahead!

As far as wraps, etc go- don't buy too many. My first two couldn't sleep without being wrapped and then I ditched the wrap after 2 weeks with my 3rd because he couldn't sleep when he was wrapped.