+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Showing up... Taking an interest in their stuff.

and drinking a wine after bub's in bed

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    My mother is wonderful.

I think one of the things I've noticed from "my mother is horrible," coversations/threads is that my mother supports me regardless of her opinion. She understands that I'm an adult and that every decision I make is mine to make without her telling me otherwise.

I think I'd have to do something seriously effing stupid for her to not just support me. I mean, if I said I was doing drugs or something like that she wouldn't support me... but a lot of mothers will say negative things about their child's clothes, weight, diet plans, parenting etc. My mum mostly just either fully supports me (as in, agrees with my decision) or just genuinely hopes it works out well for me (though I can sometimes tell by the way she carefully words things that perhaps she's not that sure I've made the best decision...lol).

I found out I was pregnant at 18. I lived at home. I had a part time job and was studying part-time. I was hardly ready for a kid. Yet, when I told her, she didn't criticise me, tell me what I should do, sit down and lecture me... she just said, "Oh...? What makes you think that?" when I said I thought I was pregnant (I KNEW I was, but that was my way of breaking it to her... lol). She then spent the entire pregnancy driving me to any appointments I needed to get to, buying baby items DD's father wouldn't let me buy (he got angry at me when I purchased a $12 blanket ffs!), and she spent each and every day in hospital with me before I had her (3 failed inductions) then after (caesarean). She sat in there, silently, reading, while I slept or just dealt with my baby... jsut in case I needed her. Even during non-visiting hours (I think because I was young and she was quiet, nobody minded).

She helped me pull up my knickers post-caesarean after a shower. Embarrassing as hell, but that woman didn't even flinch.

She's just so supportive, and always willing to help. I love her.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default *spinoff* What makes someone a good Mother?

My mum has always helped me pick myself up after every fall. No judgement, no I told you so, no criticism. She may not agree with things I have done but she's always been there to pick up the pieces. I want to be just like that for my dd. no matter what I'll always be there x

AndrewTheEmu is offline Bubhub Ambassador - tongue in cheek
    Thanks
    Reviews

Understanding.

She was firm & strict, but when I did make 'big mistakes', she was there for me & non judgmental.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I am by no means a fantastic mum and I am still learning the ropes of being a mum to a adult. I try and support her in everything she does. Even when I don't like it. I listen and try to understand all her feminist uni stuff every when every bone in my body wants to scream.

I would do anything for her.

This last week has been torture for me, She got very, very sick. I wanted to fly down and look after her. She didn't want me too. It was the hardest thing I have ever done to respect her decision and not just get on a plane.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I really struggle to buy into the "good mums bake, wear aprons, stay at home and raise the kids unassisted, keep a clean home" and other such stereotypes.

I think being a good mum is just being a good person. Being a good role model. Trying your best.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Gracie's Mum  (10-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'd be happy if she loved me, let me be the child and put me ahead of herself occasionally.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    I really struggle to buy into the "good mums bake, wear aprons, stay at home and raise the kids unassisted, keep a clean home" and other such stereotypes.

I think being a good mum is just being a good person. Being a good role model. Trying your best.
    Agree x10000!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: *spinoff* What makes someone a good Mother?

Open communication. I can always talk to my mum about anything.

Me + DH
    DS 2
    DD
    :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

My mum is awesome. She's always been there for me. It's difficult to put a finger on it but she's always made me feel comfortable and safe. When I had DD and went through a really tough time, she knew how to help without taking over and helped build my confidence as a mother.

I always felt loved and like I had someone to go to. I hope I can create the same type of home for my kids and they always feel comfortable and safe with me.