+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Bad form or ok?

I purchased heaps of brand named clothes for my little girl and passed them onto a friend. She asked when she was finished with them if I wanted them back and I said i had no need for for them and she could pass them onto here sister who loves nice things but was struggling financially. Well it was so sad to see her list them all on eBay and make a fortune from my stuff. I saw them on there and was upset that she would profit rather than pass them on. So no I would not sell them

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Bad form or ok?

This definitely won't be a popular answer here but I don't see anything wrong with it.

I have a friend who is pregnant, and who is planning on receiving my DS's things when he grows out of them. I'm keeping some pieces that are special to me but the rest she can keep.

My thinking is once I hand them over, they're hers to do with what she likes. If that means cutting the feet off the onesies, adding appliqué's, donating them, or selling them, well that's up to her. I'm not giving with strings attached.

And, I know for a fact she isn't doing well financially (which is why she needs the clothes in the first place), so if she wants to make herself a few bucks by going through the hassle of listing the items on eBay, well then good for her!

And, I know it's not the same as giving the clothes away, but the buyer will most likely be another mum who can't afford the nicer things brand new, and so is getting a bargain... Win-win!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: Bad form or ok?

If you're wanting to donate to charity there's a charity called pacific smiles, search them on facebook. They have two projects running, one for school age children and one for new mums where they collect items from people willing to donate, put together packs and distribute them through various islands in the south pacific I think its a great idea, after spending a few months in Fiji and seeing how expensive things are that we take for granted these islands can definitely use all the help they can get!

Sent from my HTC One X using BubHub

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mrstuilawa For This Useful Post:

FluffyDucks  (11-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hari View Post
    In my original post I said I did ask her if she wanted the stuff back. Anyway most of the responses have confirmed what my moral compass was telling me. I'll give the stuff to someone
    You did say she didn't want them back but did you ask if she minded you selling them?

I wouldn't feel right doing it unless like a previous poster said, I was using that money to buy more clothes for my kids and were still in a tough situation and I would still ask the original giver if they minded.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Bad form or ok?

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpancakes View Post
    Slightly off topic but can you really make much from selling 2nd hand kids clothes?
    I once sold a boys Fred Bare jacket on eBay. I'd picked it up for DSS for $4 at the OP shop. When he was done with it I sold it for $47!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Bad form or ok?

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpancakes View Post
    Slightly off topic but can you really make much from selling 2nd hand kids clothes?
    I sold some of DDs pumpkin patch, sprout, jack and Millie etc on eBay and made heaps.

I'd sell them in bundles of 10-20 items and would make $50 min.

I bought WAY too many baby clothes!! I donates 4 garbage bags of cloths and sold off just as many.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by finally expecting View Post
    We got given a heap of things from dh cousin who specifically said I could keep it or sell it if I wanted she didn't mind. We're still using most of it, have leant some of the maternity clothes to a friend but with more kids in our future we will keep or hand down to siblings who are yet to have kids. But yes, you're right there are cases where it is ok to sell it. Depends totally on the circumstance.
    I agree...anyone I give stuff to it goes with me telling them 'once your done sell it or send it to charity' I'm always very clear that I couldn't care less That said, I wouldn't sell secondhand clothes someone gave me unless I was able to ask them first.

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Bad form or ok?

Am I the only person who no longer gives willy nilly to charity? Many times I've gone to an overflowing charity bin and couldn't in good conscience add to it. People's abuse of these bins is actually a huge bugbear of mine right now.

To me, eBay is another way of giving charitably. I don't sell children's clothes for profit on eBay, I sell them so someone else can grab a bargain and reuse them.

In the OP's situation I would pass the clothes on if I knew anyone who needed them, and failing that I would see eBay or charity as equally valid options. However if I did make a profit on eBay I would probably split it or buy something for the friend who gave me the clothes
    Last edited by lambjam; 11-11-2012 at 08:33.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's a big no-no to sell items given to you.

It's profiting from others generosity.

If I didn't have a friend who needed them, then I'd take them to the local refuge. I used to volunteer at the Women's Refuge in NZ putting together 'kits' of necessities for families who had nothing. Baby clothes in decent condition and baby equipment were some of the most needed second hand items.

If you're feeling particularly generous, get some new face washers, toothbrushes, toothpaste and body wash. Those are always very much needed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Good idea about the refuge. There are women and children that have fled their homes with nothing but the clothes on their back. Sure you could make a few bucks OP, but imagine the good you can do from paying it forward to somewhere like a refuge? and I know you have said you will so good for you.