+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Castor oil!

Seriously considering trying castor oil tomorrow. I am 40 + 1 weeks and ive tried everything but castor oil.. What are your thoughts?

Sent from my LT15i using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Castor oil!

I tried it when pregnant with ds, all it did was (tmi) cleaned out my bowels. I have also spoken to my midwife about it and she said the same thing about it cleaning out your bowels. If you do chose to have it, make sure you drink it with orange juice as it taste disgusting.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Castor oil!

It is supposed to start uterine contrax as a result of the contrax that your digestive system gets from the explosive diarrhea...I certainly wouldn't do it lol!

Fwiw, your bubba probably hasn't started to make an appearance because they aren't ready yet. Pretty much nothing will work until they are ready, as hard as it is to wait! Good luck x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Re: Castor oil!

40+2 isn't very "over due".

It'll give you violent diarrhea. It might not work. It could make you dehydrated (from the poops) it can distress baby. And it might not work.

I'd wait it out.

Good luck. Be assured one way or another you'll have your baby very soon! Waiting suck though.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by Boobycino View Post
    40+2 isn't very "over due".

It'll give you violent diarrhea. It might not work. It could make you dehydrated (from the poops) it can distress baby. And it might not work.

I'd wait it out.

Good luck. Be assured one way or another you'll have your baby very soon! Waiting suck though.

This! I hope bubba makes an appearance soon

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had 1tbs castor oil in a glass of orange juice with dd at 8pm went into labour at 12am (yes you get the runs pretty intense) and had dd at 7am. My mum did the same thing with me and had the same results but a 4hr labour. Yes it's not recommended as it can dehydrate so make sure you drink lots of fluid. Even a bottle of powerade may be handy. Il be doing the same thing with dd2 in a few weeks. Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Castor oil!

You may as well just take a heap of laxatives, same effect.
    It's not recommended for a reason.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsOhara For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (11-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Also.... I wouldn't want to have explosive poo - if it worked really quickly - while pushing......................

Thanks
    Reviews

I've always heard its unsafe, no midwife recommended it to me, its more likely to cause meconium in the amniotic fluid, (baby is likely to poo from distress), because of dehydration and stronger contractions. I considered it also but decided not to, did nipple stim, walking, squatting, lots housework and had quick labor.

Thanks
    Reviews
    A midwife friend said she hates it when people turn up after taking castor oil, as it makes such a mess!
    I don't think there is any one thing that helps. I was 40+6 and wasn't looking forward to getting induced. I went for a swim (well a blob) in the local pool, 3 hours later I was in labour. Probably coincidence but was nice to feel weightless for a while
    Bub will be here before you know it!