+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I reckon my in laws would probably be this way if I was a health nazi - but I'm not, so it works ok. We're all happy to give occassional snacks and treats which is nice. Luckily they didn't try any of that stuff when the bubs were before solids age, or just moving onto solids because that would annoy me a lot.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Wrong way around!

Mil is the same! Offers DD everything! Bowl of chips here, a cup cake there. Never asks I'm like noooshe hasn't eaten her breakfast/lunch etc. dd is a fussy toddler but will eat when she's hungry. So when she finally does I don't want it to be all the wrong kind of foods. I had to keep telling ' ask me before offering her food' it took so long for them to do this tho. I'm just the bad mum who wouldn't let her eat nice food. They feed her behind my bak etc. when she cries is she wants some they say go ask mum she can be the bad one bla bla. Final straw when they were giving her corn chips. She never had chips before and she started choking on them. Boy they won't give her food without asking again! Lol (hopefully)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Ah well, that's what grandparents are for, to give an occasional treat or two. A bit of white bread at grandmas house wouldn't have hurt that much, and as it was grandma giving it, it doesn't undermine your healthy eating at home schedule. Do you know what I mean? Sometimes my mum watches the kids and when I come back they tell me grandma gave them PB sandwiches for lunch. At home they have salad etc. but the kids know not to ask me for the same as that is only allowed at grandmas.

But I'm pretty relaxed about these things.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 4underfour For This Useful Post:

claudiakathleen  (15-11-2012),lovelymum  (14-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I am fairly relaxed also, i have no issue with my kids getting treats at their grandparents. It is only an issue for me because MIL has started going overboard with it - as in she will happily let them eat a whole packet of biscuits rather than just 1 or 2, she never says 'no' and as i result it goes beyond getting a treat to getting laden with cr@p - that is where the issue is with me.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MothersMilk For This Useful Post:

claudiakathleen  (15-11-2012)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Re: Wrong way around!

Quote Originally Posted by 4underfour View Post
    Ah well, that's what grandparents are for, to give an occasional treat or two. A bit of white bread at grandmas house wouldn't have hurt that much, and as it was grandma giving it, it doesn't undermine your healthy eating at home schedule. Do you know what I mean? Sometimes my mum watches the kids and when I come back they tell me grandma gave them PB sandwiches for lunch. At home they have salad etc. but the kids know not to ask me for the same as that is only allowed at grandmas.

But I'm pretty relaxed about these things.
    Yep this. MIL watches DS every Tuesday, and every Tuesday he gets hot chips. I probably wouldn't feed him hot chips once a week, but hey she's his grandma and gets to spoil him. I think you really need to pick your battles. I actually think it's a tiny bit rude to dictate what food is offered in someone else's house. If someone served me something I wouldn't usually eat I would eat it without making a scene, unless if course it was meat and i was a vegan, or something i was allergic to, or someone tried to give my baby a lollipop or something.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

8. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

lovelymum  (14-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

My FIL is a complete nightmare! He used to think it was hilarious to try to give my DS1 a taste of egg when he was a baby - despite the fact that he knew very well that as a 12 month old I'd had a severe anaphylactic reaction to egg where my heart literally stopped beating. He would go on and on about it and I would snap it every time! My SIL also gives my DS sooooo much crap it isn't funny. Makes me want to scream!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Justus4 View Post
    dd is a fussy toddler but will eat when she's hungry. So when she finally does I don't want it to be all the wrong kind of foods.
    This is exactly what I was trying to say, haha.

Thanks
    Reviews

I'm certainly no health nazi and agree that treats are fine because we need to teach our kids moderation. But when it's at the point where as the parent you've said no more because it's going to be lunch time soon, and the grandparents continue pretty much undermining you as a parent is when it gets frustrating.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

My inlaws pantry is like the confectionery and chip supermarket aisle in one, easy to access cupboard. Does.my.head.in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My inlaws were exactly the same when they started watching DD (at 9 months) every thursday! DD would vomit if we warmed up her formula so she needed to have it cold, every time I would pick her up, she was in new clothes!! So she just stopped going there untill they got the picture!! Now 15 months, she is there 2 days and is yet to try any chocolate or any sweets at all! My inlaws do exactly what I would! My mum on the other hand never has DD because she gives her all sorts of stuff she isn't supposed to! It's hard to be firm as they have raised us and we turned out fine but still, our children, our choice!! I have not issue say NO as I feel it's my responsibility to my child to give her what she needs not what she wants!! And if the grandparent can't get on board? It will be their loss!!