+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Wrong way around!

I've heard many parents complaining about how their own parents/in-laws give them hell over getting nutritious food into the kiddies but my mom is the complete opposite! It's driving me crazy.

I was at their house today and DS hadn't had lunch yet. He was getting crankier and crankier as he got hungry so I kept offering him some of the quiche I had made him but he wasn't interested. Eventually he was offered fruit, bacon, egg....none was wanted. He wanted some of their white bread.

Now I'm far from a tight-*** when it comes to his eating habits (not that there is anything wrong with being a healthy tight-*** hehe) but I didn't want him to have white bread as a main meal. DS was having tantrums by this stage. My mom said I was being "over the top" and if I gave him what he wanted we could all live in peace. Yeah, and if you brought him up he would eat nothing but white bread and have horrible manners! I ended up leaving.

Ugh, anyone else's parents have no respect for what you believe is good/bad?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yep my in laws religiously ignore what I say. I do allow white bread but I am very conscious of what my kids eat and drink. I repeatedly asked them not to give DS juice of any kind, whilst ever he is happy to drink water or milk then that's all he gets. They constantly gave him juice and one juice they gave him made him vomit which lucky me had to deal with! They give him dim sims, mcd's - you get the drift. He is now 6 so some of the food stuff I am trying to relax on but would still prefer he stuck to water or milk as he is still happy with that.

Thanks
    Reviews

I can think of far worse thing than giving him white bread ... Yes a bit over the top ....but that's just my opinion ....

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RuffledPansy For This Useful Post:

claudiakathleen  (15-11-2012),peanutmonkey  (12-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Re: Wrong way around!

The first time I've ever really raised my voice at anyone was shouting at my fil to stop trying to give jasper custard after I'd said no, Df had said no, we'd said NO and he pick up jasper, custard and spoon and went to give it to him. Jasper was 6 months old.

But I was MEAN because I refused to let them feed him sugary crap. It continued until he was 1 year old. They could not grasp I didn't want to give him refined sugar under 12 months.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know what you mean. My own mother won't stop giving ''just one little chocolate''... and my in laws don't feed them at all. They can watch the kids all day long and yep, the kids practially eat a bikkie and that's it.

gets on my nerves something baaaaaaaaaad.

Thanks
    Reviews

Yep I know what you mean and it's so frustrating, especially when they think it's funny and then it becomes a game!

Thanks
    Reviews
    White bread isnt too bad so yes ur overreacting. Bacon is more fatty than a slice of white bread i would rather my child eat white` bread than a whole heap of fatty oily bacon.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jaidynsmylilman For This Useful Post:

claudiakathleen  (15-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Wrong way around!

Quote Originally Posted by jaidynsmylilman View Post
    White bread isnt too bad so yes ur overreacting. Bacon is more fatty than a slice of white bread i would rather my child eat white` bread than a whole heap of fatty oily bacon.
    White bread causes an insulin spike similar to that of a glaced dohnut.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kiplusthree For This Useful Post:

mamamel89  (13-11-2012),Mulva  (12-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by jaidynsmylilman View Post
    I personally don't think white bread is that bad either. But I don't think that is the issue here. The issue is parents/parents in law, respecting the choices we make for our children. So yes, I agree that they should respect our parenting choices and that if they don't there needs to be some discussion about that.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Lewbaby For This Useful Post:

Crazyfamily  (12-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I have similar issues with my MIL, she gives the kids biscuits, ice cream etc. She says things like 'but ice cream is good for them, it's diary' which makes me want to spontaneously combust.
    I have to always be the one saying 'no' every time we go over there and i am forever trying to stop MIL from just giving them cr@p food constantly - very much a work in progress.