+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The greenslopes programe looks really good!! I would have gone for it but im too far from the gold coast fir tafe days. Thouroughly reccomend hospital based training though!

The PA programe looks awesome too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Angelanathan I say go for it. Hospital based is awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    A lot of the ramsay students in my class are rather bitter about the experience they had so I think a lot of it is luck of the draw. Where ever you end up may be a great experience or terrible one.. just depends on what kind of staff are there.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would have loved the opportunity to do hospital based study, though hope my tafe ends up being alright.

A friend of mine doing her EN through gold coast tafe knows someone who studied at another tafe and was left very disappointed.. they didn't do a whole lot of practical at the tafe, just theory apparently.. so she transferred over to gold coast though left there also.

Though my friend seems pretty happy at the gold coast tafe - she has been helping me with my own study until my course begins.

I am a little frustrated as the tafe called last week and said that i have to go to a 3 hour information class on the 12th and i can enrol directly after, though I received a letter in the post on monday this week asking me to confirm that i will be at the FULL TIME info session on the 12th.. so I called them and told them I want to study part-time and they appologised and said that I can't attend after all and I need to wait until possibly late-July for the part-time intake instead.

I just feel like I've been waiting for it to begin for ever already (I know.. I shouldn't complain).

Is anyone working as a PC or in aged care ect while they study?
    Did you find it hard to get work as you are studying still?

A friend of mine did her RN and took 6 months to find work as she didn't have enough experience.. She said as soon as I can, I should get work asap anywhere that might give me experience while I study so once I'm qualified it looks better on the CV.. Is anyone else doing things this way?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    FT at TAFE is usually only 3 days a week... could that be what caused the confusion?

I don't work in the nursing industry but a lot of the people in my class do. It would be a good way to get experience. You can't really work unless you have a cert 3 in aged care/acute care or have done at least your basic placement in the diploma.

Thanks
    Reviews
    A lot of people on my course are also aged care workers. Weve done enough placement to start but i.M Worried that with going to 4 days per week next sem i wont have enough time with work to keep up the study load, since we start meds and patho.

Last classes next week, then onto block placement for two weeks. Just finishing up mylast assessment pieces, but im really happy that ive been good at keeping up with them and not left anything to the last minute bring on semester 2!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by codex View Post
    A lot of people on my course are also aged care workers. Weve done enough placement to start but i.M Worried that with going to 4 days per week next sem i wont have enough time with work to keep up the study load, since we start meds and patho.

Last classes next week, then onto block placement for two weeks. Just finishing up mylast assessment pieces, but im really happy that ive been good at keeping up with them and not left anything to the last minute bring on semester 2!!!!
    I've done my basic placement too but I'm not sure what I would need to prove I've done this? Our transcript of results still have nothing on them except first aid.

We've just started meds. Seems interesting. IV meds seem a bit difficult though.
    Does anyone have any links to good resources or know of any good apps that would be helpful?

Thanks
    Reviews
    The Tafe I'm going to study through is 4 days of tafe + 1 day of prac each week.

Part time is 2 days a week of tafe and 1-2 weeks (they haven't decided on how many weeks) a semester of prac.

I am doing part time as my littlest just turned 1 and don't want him in care for 5 days straight up.. The GT tafe looks awesome for studying at home, but it's costly and I can't get to the coast for resi school when I'd need to (not around the 3 kids).. otherwise I'd be studying now

Just doing my own study atm... but I have found these sites, which a friend studying through GT tafe has linked me on to..
    http://www.testandcalc.com/quiz/index.asp - fantastic to help you with medication formulas

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Oh wow. Your PT is almost the same as our FT. Last semester was only 1 full day and 2 half days. This semester is 3 full days. Our course seems awfully fast paced compared to most.
    Troopingfairy, how long will your course go for?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yea, the website says that classes for FT are mon-fri 830-430pm, though I've been told by one of the staff in the nursing department that they usually do 1 day of prac each week.. which if i could do it, I would jump at the opportunity.

My course, PT is 2 days a week 830-430 and goes for 2.5 years. It states on the website that I can complete it faster by doing an extra subject or module if I want, though I've been told to be careful as I am going to apply for HECS (I think tafe call it fees/debt or something..) and if I take on extra subjects I may have to pay for the subject upfront as HECS only pays for the subjects at a PT pace?

Still.. It means that my LO will be 3.5yrs when I finish.. Once he starts school I may look into going further.. I want to work in maternity or paediatrics, though I know they are both popular areas so will just wait and see.