+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Ladies

I’ve been following this thread and thought I might come and say hello and ask some questions! So I am hoping some of you can help me? Last year I started studying the Bachelor of Nursing at uni part-time but I am now thinking (well I’ve been debating this issue since I started uni last year) if I should instead do the Diploma of Nursing at TAFE? My biggest reasons are that I am a Mum with 3 young children and I found studying at uni took up so much time (even though I was only part-time) so I didn’t end up having any spare time as the assignments and exam prep were non-stop and so time consuming. I’m hoping that even if the EN course is just as involved, I will be finished it by the end of next year and can go out and work (rather than uni taking me another 3 years to complete – due to their being 6 practical placements – with a good few of those semesters being full-time to allow me to finish it in the quickest amount of time).

So mainly what I would like to try and find out is, how heavy is the workload? I understand what one person would consider heavy, another might not, but I guess I’m asking about how much time at home do you need to do homework/assignments etc?

Also, any generalisations on what assignments & exams entail? ie for assignments, do you have to do many essays or are they more short answer kind of questions? With exams, are they like uni where they are at the end of the semester and are 2 or 3 hours long, or are they split up more into smaller tests/exams that are done throughout the term?

I’m looking at studying at Challenger – is anyone here studying there? How do you find it?

Is there anyone in here who may have done what I am considering – started at uni but then decided to go to TAFE instead? Any regrets?

Also please feel free to share any other info about the EN course that I may not have considered.

Well I think I have asked more than enough questions…I’m sorry if this is all over the place, but so is my mind with all this decision making!

Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I've been told that uni is actually easier than TAFE. Apparently there is more support, less demands, more structure, etc.
    I have no personal experience with uni though.
    I started the diploma this year. It's just started getting full on. We just completed one massive 16 page assignment that had a two week deadline. We've just been given another 9 to do while on our first 4 weeks of prac. They a have the same expectations as uni in regards to writing style and referencing.
    We don't do a lot in the way of actual tests appart from a&p and a maths test.
    We have to perform clinical skills in the simulated lab at TAFE and have to pass a bunch of skills before going on prac.
    We have to do 400 hours of prac over the year which is less than most TAFEs it would seem.

I've been told that if you drop out of the bachelor of nursing within the first year or two, you are able to register and work as an EN. Not sure how that works though?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    I started the diploma this year. It's just started getting full on. We just completed one massive 16 page assignment that had a two week deadline. We've just been given another 9 to do while on our first 4 weeks of prac.
    HarvestMoon, are you studying FT or PT? I'll be doing mine PT so only 2 days a week and (I think) 2 weeks of prac each semester.

Another friend is studying her diploma through GCT part time so she do it from home, though with prac and resi school she spends 4 weeks each semester on-site/at prac all up.

I would have studied at GCT though I think the 2 days of tafe each week will work better as it will keep me motivated.

I've heard that within 18 months of starting the diploma you can start working as an EN.. so it might be true about if you drop out of the bachelor you can work as an EN... not sure how it would work either.. i know that in past courses i've done you can work for 3 months before deciding if you are going to continue to study or not.. though once that 3 months is up and you haven't picked up on study again they can ask you to leave.. probably different with nursing though i would think.. i can't see them accepting someone who has only done 1/2 or 1/3 of the study but agencies might be different ect
    Last edited by troopingfairy; 12-04-2013 at 07:53.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I'm studying FT which is one full day and 2 half days at TAFE a week.

The course is a year long and upon completion we are able to register to work as ENs.
    Our prac at this stage is a 4 week block, followed by 2x3 week blocks or possibly 3x2 week blocks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    I'm studying FT which is one full day and 2 half days at TAFE a week.

The course is a year long and upon completion we are able to register to work as ENs.
    Our prac at this stage is a 4 week block, followed by 2x3 week blocks or possibly 3x2 week blocks.
    Can I just ask how much this course cost and whether it was hard to get into?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Just*Ace View Post
    Can I just ask how much this course cost and whether it was hard to get into?
    $14, 000.

It wasn't too hard. I just had to sit a maths test.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    with doing it part time the tafe have said if it will be 2 full days or half days.. i am thinking maybe 2 half days as the course goes for 2.5 yrs part time so they would stretch it out over that time.. the course i am doing is close to $18,000 though i am going to apply for the FEES scheme which is similar to HECS so there are no upfront costs ect (aside from textbooks and prac uniform).

The only prerequisites are hep b vaccine, blue card, CPR and first aid & a police check. The tafe website say that they have extra help available with the course for students who need extra support and help with study also

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    With the HELP loan fee my debt will be about $18k all up too.

Uniforms, first aid certificate, $1000 worth of textbooks are all covered by the course fee.
    We have to pay for our vaccinations on top of that, our police check and some equipment: pen, safety glasses, scissors to take on prac.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm doing a tafe course at the moment to be an AIN and they have told us the EN course is very hard to get in to! And that there is a maths test that you need to get 100% on to get in. Did you have to do that?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Just*Ace View Post
    I'm doing a tafe course at the moment to be an AIN and they have told us the EN course is very hard to get in to! And that there is a maths test that you need to get 100% on to get in. Did you have to do that?
    Oh wow. We didn't have to achieve 100% on the maths test but the higher you scored the more likely it was that you would get in.
    We have to do a maths test as part of our course that we need to score 100% on. It's linked in with the medication modules we will do.