+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I'll have a look at my blackboard on tonight and post up some awesome links. I can't study by reading, I need to do something! Heaps of online quizzes and "games" - its how I prepared for my exam
    Study just by reading doesn't work for me either. I need to write things down multiple times or being actually doing something like quizzes too.

What were the requirements that you needed to get into the course? How did you apply for the course through the hospital? How many hours/ days are you required to do a week? I was looking at the cert IV in enrolled nursing but got told I had to do cert III in acute nursing first. I really want a career change but can't afford not to work. Sorry if these questions have been asked before.
    Hi, chuffed.

I'm studying through TAFE. We spend 2 half days and one full day at TAFE per week. We also have to complete 400 hours of clinical placements. There is also a fair few online modules that we must complete at home in our own time.

To get into the course we had to sit a maths test. We also had to prove we had a minimum education level of year 12 or a certificate III as to this is needed to be able to register with APHRA once you've finished the course.
    You will need to undergo a criminal record check and get all your immunisations up to date as well. We don't need to provide this until right before we go on prac but i've heard others need it when they apply for the course.
    My course includes the first aid certificate as part of it but i know others require you to have already obtained it prior to commencing your studies.

No previous nursing experience was require. I think having some would really help them as we are expected to know so much already in regards to terminology and things like what observations are normal and the likes.

Hope that helps.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Enrolled Nursing Students

Thanks that does help.

Thanks
    Reviews

Just got my results from my A&P exam.... I got 100%!!!!!!!!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to lucymoo For This Useful Post:

HarvestMoon  (21-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Chuffed View Post
    Hi,

What were the requirements that you needed to get into the course? How did you apply for the course through the hospital? How many hours/ days are you required to do a week? I was looking at the cert IV in enrolled nursing but got told I had to do cert III in acute nursing first. I really want a career change but can't afford not to work. Sorry if these questions have been asked before.
    For me Chuffed, I did the Cert 3 in Aged Care Didn't finish year 12.

I'm doing the Diploma, and my course is FT, 4 days a week, about 22 contact hours and then an expected 15 study hours at home!

Thanks
    Reviews

Geez... I don't think I could do that, work, keep up with the kids and house. I was looking at the aged care one because it can be done by oten, but I don't think I could handle working with them(get too attached). Are the 2 aged and acute courses similar? I really need a career change. Going back from maternity leave next week, ive come to realize I hate my job and all it entails.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Just got my results from my A&P exam.... I got 100%!!!!!!!!
    That's awesome.!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Chuffed, the problem with studying through OTEN is that you have to organise your own placements which can be tough.

If you do end up doing a certificate 3 you will be granted some RPL if you choose to go on and do the diploma.

I'm not too sure about the differences in between the acute and aged care. I think in acute you might do your prac in a hospital setting as opposed to aged care? Not 100% sure though.

Another option if you want to do the diploma is you can study it online through Gold coast TAFE but you will have to go to the gold coast to complete the clinical components on your course. Depending on where you live or what sort of time you can get off work, it might work for you?

Thanks
    Reviews

Ahh k guess i have alot of thinking to do. Thanks for all the help! Good luck with all your studying!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Chuffed For This Useful Post:

HarvestMoon  (21-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

First taste of wards today did 3 hours in the cardiac ward. And now have been allocated my weekly ward (Mondays) which will have orthopaedics, urology, ENT and paeds 👍😊

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi guys

I live in Brisbane, I have competed my junior certificate year 10. Have not completed senior certificate.
    Where would you recommend I try to get into the diploma of nursing?
    I contacted Gold Coast tafe and the mater.
    Intakes are not till July 2013.
    Would you recommend I do a cert 3 in aged care to help get in?
    Any ideas?
    Thanks girls

Angela