+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Kindergarten - how do you find a good one?

My DS is only 1 but already I am having to think about Kindergarten. We are very limited for schools of all kinds in my local area. The childcare he has started to attend has a kindergarten however I have been warned by mums with school aged children to be careful of the ones attached to childcare as they can have a tendency to be more like older childcare than kinder. Some parents have found their children to be less prepared for school from going to these kinders....(used to just playing all day without any structured activity time and so a classroom environment is quite a shock)

So I am wondering how do I go about finding out which Kinder's have the sort of program I am looking for? How do I find out what parents think of the Kinder rather than just getting the Kinders PR?

I can't seem to find anything resembling reviews online and I don't really know any mums in my area that have gone through Kinder yet.

Any advice or pointers from those who know?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Go and organise a tour and speak to other parents who have kids there, my sister and I just did a tour of a school on Tuesday for my niece and the first thing we did was spot some mums having a drop off chat and just went over and asked if they would mind us asking questions!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

giggle berry  (09-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Go and visit the kindy and see for yourself, ask lots of questions and have a look around. This is the best way to see if a particular kindy is one you would be interested in or not. After you have visited a few i would go back to the ones that appeal most and have a another look.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MothersMilk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews

Great idea! Do you think it's too early for me to be looking into this at 1yrs old? Should I be waiting till he's at least 2&1/2?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    no i'd put his name down now. some kindy's have LONG waiting lists and many ppl don't get in. the C & K kindy's are excellent. they have an excellent program as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would say it depends on the kindy and if they have a waiting list or not. I waited until DD was 3 to look kindys and a couple i had to strike off as they had no spots and long waiting lists, in retrospect i would have started looking earlier just to open up my options.

babycake is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Funniest Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Minchi View Post
    no i'd put his name down now. some kindy's have LONG waiting lists and many ppl don't get in. the C & K kindy's are excellent. They have an excellent program as well.
    I second this. C and K are fantastic. Lovely environment for both playing and learning. The teachers are wonderful, they nurture each child's strengths. It feels like a community rather than a place of learning...
    hope this helps.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It depends on what the rules are for your local Kinders. How do you apply for a place - through the council or to the kinders directly? In our area you can't put the child on the waiting list until the year before and it's all through the council and you put down your preferences, so in that case starting to look at age 1 is *really* early. And honestly a lot will change in a few years with different staff, different facilities potentially being built, etc.

In our area most Kinders have open days and possibly markets/fetes during the year. For now, I'd go to those and get a feel for the places rather than organising a particular 'tour' as I think it's too early.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mim1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Kindergarten - how do you find a good one?

Don't write off the long day cares with approved kindy program until YOU have looked yourself. My son goes to one as I didn't want to change how from day care, to kindy, to Prep. They have structured kindy from 9 - 3, the kids have to line up, sit on the area outside whole waiting to go in, they do work on the white board, they have to take turns going to the toilet before coming in from play etc etc. It is quite structured and the flexibility for me not having to drop him off at 8:30 and pick him up at 2:30 is awesome!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Happy2be3 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews

What state are you in? If you are in QLD I recommend looking at both C and K Assoc. and The Gowrie. If you do make a decision you should put in a wait list application then as wait lists can be quite lengthy. If you do it now you will definitely get a place.

Kindy program's in child care centres have certainly come a very long way recently, although I much prefer a c and k or Gowrie kindy for consistency of days/hours and consistency of class members. The set hours compared to flexible hours isn't an issue for me so I personally wouldn't pick a child care based program over c and k or Gowrie.

Good luck!