+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Polyhydramnios, measuring small for gestation Help please.

Hi,

I am 31 weeks pregnant with bub number 1. I had a growth scan booked for yesterday cause my fundal height was measuring high and my ob wanted to see how big bubs is. From the scan she is actually measuring about 2 weeks small and the rest of the size is due to polyhydramnios, excess amniotic fluid.

I had the 1 hr GCT test at 27 weeks and passed it fine, wasn't even borderline, so wasn't sent for the 2 hour test. Ob has now sent me for the 2 hr GTT for Monday as Gestational diabetes would be the most easily managed outcome.

I am worried more that it may be a sign of downs syndrome. We were classified as high risk with a level of 1:255 due to low papp-a, small size and excess amniotic fluid can also be soft markers for it. I just want my baby to be ok....

Thanks
    Reviews

Fingers crossed that it all works out for you... It must be daunting considering everything was going well previously.

I know it's probably hard but try not to worry yourself too much... That won't do you or bubs any good! Sometimes better said than done though I know...

Keep us updated with the results...

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Polyhydramnios, measuring small for gestation Help please.

Thanks munchkin.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I wish I could give some helpful medical advice (i dont have any!!) but I do understand having scans and tests and worrying about things being wrong. Aside from my bub having a heart condition she has been measuring small and I've had a lot of growth scans and scary words thrown around since I was 20 weeks, now I'm 37. And each time we have a scan they say 'oh no, we are not worried about ---- anymore!'
    One doctor told me that they are 'paid' to look for something being wrong... And monitor growth etc.
    I've had quite a few friends who had lots of fluid and looked HUGE but bubs was normal size and nothing scary was wrong.
    It's so hard not to worry... I hope all is fine and your growth scan is good news!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I forgot to mention I also have gestational diabetes and it really hasn't caused a lot of problems. Sucks you have to do the test though.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Polyhydramnios, measuring small for gestation Help please.

Hi there, I had polyhydramnios with my first pregnancy (I think from memory my afi was about 30 or 35cm). My diabetes tests came back fine and I had weekly scans to check her growth and the fluid level. They couldn't find anything that would cause polyhydramnios (they regularly checked that there was fluid in her stomach and bladder as they were concerned that there might have been a blockage but thankfully there wasn't).

It was diagnosed at about 25 weeks but by 35 weeks my fluid levels had gone back to normal. DD was born at 38 weeks and I had a natural complication free birth.

I was told that it's very common for the fluid level to correct itself over time. Hopefully this what happens for you although I know it's really uncomfortable with all that fluid

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Hi there
    I had polly also with ds 5 . I went through the same worry as you .
    In the end I had a healthy boy they said sometimes it happens for no reason . Good luck