+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Please Get your smoke alarms checked!

Please everyone make sure you have working, non expired smoke alarms!!
    We had ours checked last week and they were expired and not working at all so we had new ones fitted.
    THANK GOD WE DID!!!

Today I put some veggies on the stove for lunch and went outside with DD to hang up some washing and for DD to have a run around and play.
    I had an alarm set on my phone to get the veggies off after 10mins.

We were not even outside long, I hadn't even hung anything up yet when I could hear smoke alarms, at first I thought it was the neighbors, then I realized it was ours!
    The house was locked up as I had the air con on so I couldn't see any smoke from the clothes line but went up to the house to check.

The house was full of smoke and my stove top, upper cupboards and a tea towel were in fire.

I immediately locked dd outside and got some water, I was about to put water on it when I suddenly remembered in the induction I had for work I was told any electrical fires need to be put out with a blanket, so I searched for our fire blanket that I knew was somewhere but settled for a large towel as I was just in utter panic mode.
    (Please also be up to date on fire safety and which fires need water to put it out and which ones do not, if I had followed my first instinct and put water on it, I shutter to think what could of happened)

I got the fire put out, half the kitchen is a bit damaged and I have a small burn on my hand, dd was quite upset but we are all ok and thats the utter most important thing.

I have no idea what caused the fire but I'm guessing electrical, the stove top is electric and not gass.
    we have someone who will be coming to check it all out soon.
    But this situation could have gotten worse very quickly.

Please get your smoke alarms checked, if I didn't hear the alarm, it could have been a horrible outcome.
    Especially if something like that happens whilst we were asleep.
    I'm now keeping a fire blanket in the kitchen, I would advise others to do the same.
    And please get educated on different types of fires, for some unknown reason I remembered back to my induction day at work when they went trough safety and remembered (that was nearly 4 years ago now)
    When hubby gets home tonight we are doing up a fire safety and evacuation plan if god forbid anything out of the blue happens like that again and it is out of our control to put out.

Please Be safe.

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Gosh what a lucky escape for you. Glad you got it all checked.

I agree with this 100%. That is also why I will never have a hot plate on or oven on of I'm not inside. Our oven went through a faze of turning itself on. Since them I'm petrified about it. Even though it was fixed. It turned itself on one night when we were asleep. Luck nothing happened.

In the 09 Vic bush fires, I lost almost everything when dads house burnt down, all our family photos, mums wedding dress, the novels I'd written etc etc. Things that cannot be replace. Old friends died and people I knew died too. One thing I am happy about is that nor my dad or I were in the state at the time. We lost the house and all.

Where DP and I live now is on a bush acerage and across from dense bush land. This bush land hasn't burnt in years apparently so I am very worried about this summer and what might happen.

We got our fire safety gear off the fireys recently. So we can prepare incase.

I don't want to go through that again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's horrible! Well done to you for getting through it. It's amazing what you can remember in an emergency.

Can I suggest a quiet glass of wine after the fire planning session tonight? You sure deserve it.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by LifeInShadesOfGrey View Post
    Gosh what a lucky escape for you. Glad you got it all checked.

I agree with this 100%. That is also why I will never have a hot plate on or oven on of I'm not inside. Our oven went through a faze of turning itself on. Since them I'm petrified about it. Even though it was fixed. It turned itself on one night when we were asleep. Luck nothing happened.

In the 09 Vic bush fires, I lost almost everything when dads house burnt down, all our family photos, mums wedding dress, the novels I'd written etc etc. Things that cannot be replace. Old friends died and people I knew died too. One thing I am happy about is that nor my dad or I were in the state at the time. We lost the house and all.

Where DP and I live now is on a bush acerage and across from dense bush land. This bush land hasn't burnt in years apparently so I am very worried about this summer and what might happen.

We got our fire safety gear off the fireys recently. So we can prepare incase.

I don't want to go through that again.
    I'm so sorry for all that you lost
    I've never been a victim of a house fire and loosing everything so I can't even imagine the pain that must have caused

From now on I'm not leaving the kitchen unattended, especially because I have no idea what caused it.
    I'm so thankful that it was just a small fire, still leaves me feeling uneasy, I'm defiantly going to be more vigilant about fire safety now.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Liddybugs For This Useful Post:

LifeInShadesOfGrey  (09-11-2012)

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

It will take you a while to relax with the kitchen I bet! That's how I was after I discovered the oven was turning itself on.

But I think it's great to be fire prepared. It's good to do the best you can to prepare. Even if you still faced losing it all, at least you prepared.

I hope the damage isn't too costly to repair.

Thanks
    Reviews

totally agree with this thread!

a friends house was severely damaged by a fire started in the roof. no smoke detector. they only got out because they saw the red amber coming from the attic entry. house had to be demolished. so lucky that all 5 of them got out!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: Please Get your smoke alarms checked!

And I will add have MORE than one alarm!
    We have 5 and are planning on installing another 2. The fire guys recommend one in every single room if you can. The more the merrier I say!! Oh, and mix the types... There are a couple of types to detect slow and fast burning fires.
    We also have a fire blanket and a small extinguisher (all up purpose dry chemical)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Happy2be3 For This Useful Post:

Maybelline  (09-11-2012)