+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    i think once you do one cycle, you get more back on the second cycle because you've hit the safety net. If you have already hit the safety net this year, you'll get a little bit more back but it really isn't a whole lot in the grand scheme of how much IVF costs. Maybe only $1000 difference?

If you only have one shot at the IVF i'd be doing it when you are emotionally ready. When you say one cycle do you mean one stim cycle plus any frozen embryo's you might get?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes one stimulated cycle then hopefully I will have embryo's left over to freeze for FET if the IVF fails. But I can only afford one stimulated cycle.

Thanks
    Reviews
    your IVF clinic's finance person should actually be able to help you work all of this out? Which clinic are you with? They should be able to tell you how the safety net works. The thing with IVF is that one stim cycle plus the frosties can still cost a lot as each frozen transfer is about 2k out of pocket. Maybe you could find out from medicare this year to see if you have already hit the safety net?

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Costs before and after reaching safety net??

Hi stormgirl nice to see you back on here my clinic lists the costs on their website but once we started our cycle they gave us a sheet with total costs and how much you get back from Medicare (whether you have reached the safety net or not). They also gave costs for any extras such as growing the embryos to blastocyst, embryo glue, assisted hatching etc because there is no Medicare rebate on these things... Your doctor will have separate fees on top of the clinic so make sure you factor the doctor & anethesist fees in as well as any fees from the hospital for your egg collection. My clinics fees included all medication but some clinics don't so make sure they let you know what is /isn't included in their fees. Sorry I hope this hasn't confused you or been an info overload!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Costs before and after reaching safety net??

Quote Originally Posted by stormgirl73 View Post
    Apparently an IVF cycle is about $7000 and I will get about $3000 or so back (so I am lead to believe from medicare). If i have reached my safety net then I could get a further $1665 back (also my understanding on what they said). What I am trying to ask them and get them to explain to me if that if I have an IVF cycle in January when my safety net is at zero will I get any of that extra $1665 back
    I don't believe so stormgirl. I also agree with CG, you also need to be in a clear head space as well. Depending on how many frosties you get, you may go over the SN again with FETs.
    Last edited by Ngaiz; 09-11-2012 at 19:27.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have just done my first stim cycle. I had not reached the Medicare threshold. My clinic has a one off payment which includes everything. It was $8500. Plus $500 for EPU and ET which is my private health excess. Without private health this would have been more so definitely worth having if you have to do FETs. About a week after paying the total I got $5500 back from Medicare.

I agree with Can't wait to be a mummy. Check for any costs not included in the total fee because some don't included meds, or ultrasounds or even appointments with the FS.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry for not getting back on sooner... Check out ivf Australia's webpage, they have the costs and rebate lists sidebyside,with safety net and without..
    I'm not sure why your safety net should make your rebate any different than anyone else's. HTH