+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Costs before and after reaching safety net??

Hi
    I have just reached my safety net with medicare and am trying to decide whether to do my first IVF cycle next month (before end year) or whether to wait until the new year. Regardless I can only afford one cycle as I am a single mum now and would be using donor sperm. The thing is, I am 39 with a low AMH. I want to do this cycle before I turn 40 in April however I feel like I am not emotionally ready this year as have a few things going on personally, one of which is I have just started seeing someone but it is too early to know if it could be serious or not.
    My concern is, if I don't do it before 2013 then will next year be more expensive since I will be back at zero for the safety net?? Is it a huge difference in cost? I hope I am making sense!
    Thanks everyone

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: Costs before and after reaching safety net??

I would call Medicare as some costs/refunds are capped regardless of where you are in your safety net. Eg obstetrics p&m fee refund is only $440 regardless of what the ob charges or your safety net, ivf could be the same.

Sent from my LG-P500 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Perhaps call your Ivf clinic too. They should have some idea of the final out of pocket costs for subsequent cycles in the same calendar year. I know there is a cap for certain parts of an Ivf cycle, but mine worked out to be about $1000 cheaper after I reached the safety net. But I did icsi and surgical sperm retrieval, so my cost before the Medicare rebate was about $7900. Probably more expensive then some other clinics too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks
    I rang medicare but they just confused me and said they can't even give me an estimate even though I had the item number etc. QFG said that they can't give me any assistance either for they have nothing to with medicare. My understanding from what I could make out was that it could be up to $1655 difference for that is the most it is capped at. But if my safety net is the lower one ($598) then that confuses me! Why can't I get a straight answer form these places???!!! So frustrating cos surely I am not the only one that has been in this position!
    Has anyone done a cycle before and after their safety net has been reached? I just want a rough guide. I can only afford one IVF cycle, there will be no second chances for me for I will never save that money again

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry i dont know for sure, but my understanding was once you reached your safety net - anything over it you received 80% back. So i would assume that applied to you as an individual.

When i lodged my medicare rebate i asked the teller about how much I would get back and he said we're not meant ot say but he gave me an estimate. I guess its to avoid disappointment or people claiming they were told a certain amount when they only got x amount.

Thanks
    Reviews

Yeah most things are 80% but some things are capped. Like a pp said, my ob fees were over $2000, but they are capped at 450 or something, so that's all I got back

If you google it, there are some good articles on what is capped with Ivf from the Medicare website. That's a shame someone from Medicare or your clinic couldn't help. My clinic gave me a quote and that included the rough guide of mediate rebates. It was only about $200 off from what I actually got back.

Thanks
    Reviews

I don't have my figures in front of me to be 100% accurate but from memory before we reached the safety net I think we got back about $4500 of the clinic cost and after we reached the safety net it was closer to about $5000, so the difference was only a few hundred dollars. Please keep in mind these are rough figures only and even prior to reaching the safety net we would have been close due to other surgery and I am not sure if when you are part way there is makes a difference to how much you get back or not.

Across 8 cycles we never got the same rebate twice, they all differed slightly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It is so confusing (unless I am a bit slow on the uptake with it all !!)
    Apparently an IVF cycle is about $7000 and I will get about $3000 or so back (so I am lead to believe from medicare). If i have reached my safety net then I could get a further $1665 back (also my understanding on what they said). What I am trying to ask them and get them to explain to me if that if I have an IVF cycle in January when my safety net is at zero will I get any of that extra $1665 back (my safety net is $598) or would I only benefit if I did a second cycle (even though a second cycle is not an option for me).
    I am calculating that if I take the 1665 and minus the 598, which would make it 1067, then I will get 80% back on the difference (80% of 1067, making it 853 which is the extra I will be refunded). Am i making sense to anyone out there or is medicare right in having no idea what I am trying to ask!!!????
    Thanks again everyone and sorry if I am coming across as stupid, just trying to understand it all and making the right decision!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've just found this thread a moment ago, as we are having the same thoughts about costing. Our clinic gives the amount before and after the safety net on their website.
    But even still, I am finding the actual costing and rebates difficult too, and we have not reached our safety net- so you are definitely not alone on this one.
    I'd be inclined to give medicare another call, you might get someone who understands your situation this time...maybe?
    good luck anyhow

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks rwect.
    What clinic is that so I can look at their website out of interest??