+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Autism Assistance Dogs and fundraising ideas?

My 5 yr old DS is diagnosed as having Autism Spectrum Disorder, ODD and ADHD, so is quiet the handful as you can imagine. Im looking into getting him an assistance dog which would benifit him on many levels, socially and emotionally. Does anyone have experience with this? We have been approved and would like to move forward with it soon as there is a 2 yr waiting list. I would need to fundraise $13000 for the organisation before we would receive a dog. That money would cover some of the training costs associated with a task specific dog. That number seems so daunting to me and i doubt if i would be able to collect that much. is it even possible? Has anyone experience with similar fundraising and could point me in the right direction?

Thanks
    Reviews
    anybody???

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I've only just dipped toe into fundraising but look into what runs/marathons are coming up and set up a 'team' to run & fundraise for you. Develop a product or something you can sell to fundraise. Start a blog or website to introduce yourselves. look into setting up a bank account for this specifically & consult an accountant for help.

hope that helps

Thanks
    Reviews

there are also foundations that help with this kind of thing but I haven't had any experience with them

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Fundraising suggestion

Hi Katie,

How are you going with your fundraising? You probably need to try a few different things to get to that $13000 total and I can imagine it might seem pretty overwhelming, especially with everything else you have on your plate with looking after your DS!

I just wanted to let you know I can offer you a fundraising initiative with Phoenix Trading greeting cards. I provide leaflets with a selection of card/giftwrap/stationery packs and you would need to distribute those leaflets to friends & family and ask them to collect orders. You then get to keep 30% of the money collected for your fundraising cause. There's more info on the fundraiser page of my website http://goo.gl/KTnIy and I'd be happy to mail you a hard copy of the leaflet plus a couple of sample cards if you'd like to consider it for your fundraising.

Anyone else who reads this is welcome to do the same. The fundraiser can be run anywhere in Australia. The only requirement is that it is for a not-for-profit organisation, community group or charity (this includes playgroups and schools) - unfortunately I can't do a fundraiser for an individual or family in need of help. In this case, Katie, because you'd actually be raising funds for Assistance Dogs (in order to be eligible to receive one), I think it would be fine. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

All the best with your fundraising efforts!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you heard of an organization called I give a buck? They're fantastic

Thanks
    Reviews
    Autism and disability service dogs are amazing, and make a huge difference in the lives of those who know them. They do take work, commitment, and some dedication to keeping up the training, though. I have heard of SO many stories of fabulous outcomes with Autism dogs, due to their ability to calm, having much easier to read body language than humans; the companionship and connection to society they bring for their charges.

Although it seems like a mountain to climb, raising that money, you will get there. The dogs themselves cost over 40,000 to train, as I'm sure you know. I am a dog trainer, and the way these dogs are trained is amazing.

I have a friend who fundraises for her quadriplegic son through a facebook page, with his story, photos, updates, and bank account details on it. Maybe you could try that if you feel comfortable with the idea. Sausage sizzles, community sports events, dances, band nights are the kind of things they put on. PM me if you are in Melb ~ I am a performer and will donate a circus dog performance to you if you decide to put on an event!

Good luck in your fundraising ~ this is a great place to come for ideas.
    Last edited by BaronessM; 18-04-2013 at 03:44. Reason: I can't spell at 3thirty am...