+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Colds and pregnancy.

I was just wondering what other people do to help a cold while pregnant. I know I can't take anything but Panadol and I have chosen not to even take that, I'm not sure why, just a personal choice I guess. But is there anything else I can do to make myself feel any better?

Thanks
    Reviews

I would stand in the bathroom and run the shower hot. The steam would help clear my nose. Or putting my head over a bucket of water. Use a vaporizer or book water and put drops of eucalyptus oil in it when in bed.
    Also drink Lemon & Honey in warm water for the throat. They aren't going to fix you but helps short term.
    I had about 4 colds during pregnancy and it sucks. Feel Better.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Poor thing! Plenty of rest, inhaling steam (have a hot shower or put your head over a sink of hot water with a towel over your head), using a vapouriser / humidifier overnight to help you sleep better... Unfortunately there isn't a whole lot you can do!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had a headcold earlier in my preg and accidentally found a way to clear the blockages....wasabi!! We were having Japanese and I was a bit heavy handed. It nearly knocked my head off, but blew my nose and cleared me right up...until the next day but meant I got relief that night.

Thanks
    Reviews

I use a vics stick to clear my nose, drink honey lemon water and have strepsils!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption

Default Re: Colds and pregnancy.

Some strepsils I wouldn't use during pregnancy. I had butter menthol which the chemist said is just like a lolly and it helped at least a little. Plenty of water and rest.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Yeah the chemist told me there was nothing I could take for my runny nose and nothing for my throat except a salt water gargle and warm drinks, not even medicated throat lozenges. However I was only 5 weeks at that stage so maybe if you're further along the advice would be different. I even read that eucalyptus lollies aren't recommended!

Thanks
    Reviews

if you're over 12 weeks - and depending on the severity of the cold, a doctor may prescribe cold and flu tablets (without the psudoeferdrine (sp?)) as it will do more harm than good for you to be that sick with bub. but, keep warm and hydrated and have a steaming hot shower. fx it clears up for you soon!

Thanks
    Reviews

Paracetamol is honestly the best thing, if you have a temp that's far worse for the baby than taking a few paracetamol. Sudafed is fine, if you're sinuses are blocked, the OTC stuff no longer contains pseudo ephedrine

Thanks
    Reviews

My OB said I could use Rhinocort which is a hay fever nasal spray that's safe to try and clear my nose.
    For sore throat I used dissolvable panadol as a gargle.
    Codeine based cough syrup is ok.
    But really, there isn't much you can do. I also sucked butter menthols.